Author Topic: Relinking project if another one is modified  (Read 3343 times)

Offline purestrain

• Single posting newcomer
Relinking project if another one is modified
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:03:20 am »
Hi,

I don't get a project relinked, if i change and recompile a lib it depends on. I've set up dependencies, even 'external dependecy files'. It relinks only if i modify the main projects files.

Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Offline Deschamps

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Relinking project if another one is modified
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:31:36 pm »
I would bet that you're doing nothing wrong. In fact, are the object files in the project that are generated again (recompiled, and therefore "relinked") when the involved sources are modified. If you are also modifying an external library used in your project, then I suppose that you could add those sources (the library) to your project, so the whole "package" would receive the same processing, in that sense. If this is not possible, then you could use always the unconditional "rebuild" option for your project, after modifying an external library.

Hope someone else can provide you better solutions :)

Regards.
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Offline purestrain

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:22:31 pm »
Actually i'm often modifying either the lib (framework) or just the main project, so it happens quite often. The framework gets compiled and its output .lib file gets a new date, but it is not recognized by my main project... a rebuild costs so much time :-(

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:43:01 pm »
I have a similar project.
If I use the Release target the main project is only recompiled and relinked , if I change the api of the library, for example add or remove a function, if thje api does not change a relink is not needed.
In Debug target it is always relinked, if I change the library and recompiled and relinked if I change the api.

Dependencies have to be set in projects "Properties  -> Build targets -> External dependencies -> External dependency files" and in  "Properties  -> Project settings -> Project's dependencies" .