Author Topic: C::B Profiler 0.1a  (Read 10859 times)

darklordsatan

C::B Profiler 0.1a
« on: July 22, 2005, 08:46:59 am »
Hi folks, Ive just finished the first version of a plugin that serves as a GUI for the gprof profiler.

Features

• User-level warnings when trying to run the plugin with no project opened, when the current target is not an executable, when the profiling data is older than the executable (not ran after rebuilding it), and when the profiling data cannot be found
  • Implementation of an advanced facility to let users provide command line arguments (more in the screenie)

Gotchas

• Plugin configuration is global
  • When a project with several executable targets are opened, the profiler so far tries to open the profiler with the last target
  • Checkbox options do not work so far, although the text area in the last tab DOES work

Todos

• Change the output text area's style (maybe by the user too?)
  • Let the user select the target to check the profiler data from
  • Let the user define 2 variables : One for the alternative name to gmon.out, and another to select the full path where gmon.out (or alternative) can be found
  • Provide configuration per-target
  • Implement ALL of the gprof options by means of checkboxes, like shown in the screenies, for beginner users or simply for the ones that dont want to remember the parameters
  • Provide tooltip for each option so that the user can easily remember what it does (already done, but somehow I screwed my .xrc so Ill have to put them back again)
  • [Insert nice feature here]

Download Link (binaries/sources/instructions)
http://rapidshare.de/files/3262134/CB_Profiler_0_1_a.zip.html

Some of the configuration options
Here

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 03:55:56 pm by darklordsatan »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 09:08:32 am »
Very nice work :D
I will surely check this out. If you want to put it under CVS, just ask.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
Re: C::B Profiler 0.1a
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 03:16:28 pm »
Do plan on providing a nice view of the flat profile and the call graph? I am picturing something like kprof.

darklordsatan

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 03:58:25 pm »
Do plan on providing a nice view of the flat profile and the call graph? I am picturing something like kprof.
Thanks for the link. Seems rathing interesting, but (1) Im new to profiling, so Im yet to understand fully what gprof outputs, and (2) I dont have much time those days, and this is just meant to be a simple plugin. Besides, I think only probably 0.001 % of C::B users are interested in this plugin and profiling in general, so spending a lot of time on it, probably would be a total waste.

But once I get some more free time, Ill start implementing the ToDos I posted before.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 04:25:33 pm »
... I think only probably 0.001 % of C::B users are interested in this plugin and profiling in general, so spending a lot of time on it, probably would be a total waste.

i think there are a few more than your expected value :)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 04:34:57 pm »
You plan on putting this on CVS, yes?  When I have some time I would like to give better graphical output a try.  To me it seems the real meat of the pluggin would be bringing profilling information in a easy to read graphical output inside the IDE.  I have a some experience with gprof and would like to expand my programming skills making this pluggin better.

Zlika

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 09:58:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure lots of people use the profiler, and a good profiler interface within C::B is a must have!

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 11:25:01 pm »
I also vote for profilers as a must have tool for any developer so your estimation might be a little pessimistic for the value of the plugin
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Zlika

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 08:13:34 am »
Hi everybody!
I have asked DarkLord if he is still working on his plugin.
If not, I'll try to improve it. I have already added Flat Profile/Call Graph tabs.

Zlika