User forums > Help

CodeBlocks and Compiler

(1/4) > >>

JustinThyme:
Mandrav, thanks for the release!  I've got it downloaded, but haven't installed it yet.

With some of the threads in the Troubleshooting forum, have you ever considered prepackaging CodeBlocks with MinGW?  I believe it's still essential to have compatibility with other compilers, but for the average Joe, perhaps a fallback compiler which is preconfig'd with the IDE might make getting up and running easier.  Dev-C++ and Visual MinGW do this.

Just a thought...but it may make things easier for you in the long run.

mandrav:
Yes, I 've thought about it. This is my last attempt at "avoiding" including a compiler ;)
With the auto-detection feature and the really simple (I believe) instructions included, it should be a breeze to install any of the supported compilers.

Yiannis.

JustinThyme:
I saw your poll on the front page.  Did I open a can 'o worms? :oops:

I think your primary direction with plugin configuration is the best long term solution.  I just thought that while getting things up and running, perhaps an optional IDE/compiler packaging in addition to the IDE only might make things easier for you.

BTW, since it probably doesn't get said often enough, thanks.  Thanks for all your work. 8)

JustinThyme:
Mandrav, I noticed something regarding the configuration for MinGW.

It appears that CB doesn't actually detect the specific install of MinGW, it just assumes the defaults.  Being organizationally AR on my PC, I installed MinGW into C:\Programming\MinGW, instead of the default C:\MinGW.  When I went to doublecheck config, it showed C:\MinGW as my MinGW location.

If on install it's possible to scan the registry and preconfigure all the compiler options from actual install info, that may ease some of the problems.

mandrav:

--- Quote from: JustinThyme ---It appears that CB doesn't actually detect the specific install of MinGW, it just assumes the defaults.  Being organizationally AR on my PC, I installed MinGW into C:\Programming\MinGW, instead of the default C:\MinGW.  When I went to doublecheck config, it showed C:\MinGW as my MinGW location.
--- End quote ---

It's not assuming the defaults. As far as I know, MinGW installation does not write anything to the registry, it only creates a "INI" file (c:\windows\mingw.ini) which contains the installation path. This is what CB searches for...

--- Quote from: JustinThyme ---If on install it's possible to scan the registry and preconfigure all the compiler options from actual install info, that may ease some of the problems.
--- End quote ---

If you know of a registry key for MinGW, please tell me about it :)

Yiannis.

PS1: Did you click on "Auto-detect" button besides "Master path" in Programs" page of global compiler options?
PS2: Can you post the contents of the INI file I 'm talking about?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version