Author Topic: Adding support for other compiler distrabutions, and gdb question  (Read 11257 times)

dovoto

I am attempting to create a few reusable templates for the devkitPro sweet of embedded gcc toolchains (www.devkitPro.org).  These toolchains target Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Playstation Portable, Gamecube, and Wii (and a few others).

Creating a template and adjusting the compiler settings to work with these toolchains is relatively straightforward albeit a bit painful. (using custom makefiles by the way)

However, I would like to be able to distribute the templates in such a way as to preclude the necessity of each user setting up the compilers.

My question is:  What is the best way to go about this?

Ideally i would like to add a compiler selection to the list of compilers with the appropriate defaults set.  Is this even possible?

GDB:  I believe i read that custom memory viewers were possible with gbd.  Is there documentation on how to create such a viewer? (I have in mind the ability to view video memory and hardware registers and such).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:21:56 am by dovoto »

Offline BrianSidebotham

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Adding support for other compiler distrabutions, and gdb question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:58:43 am »
Hi,

Hardware Registers are not implemented in GDB yet. I modified insight to view hardware registers of an ARM device, but in the end it was not worth it as GDB needed modifying more than I really wanted to attempt.

Certainly if you come across any patches to implement hardware registers, etc. please post up as it would be very useful.

As for creating the templates, you should do just that, create a new project wizard which can setup the project options, including the compiler and compiler options depending on the users requirements.

Look under the ./share/codeblocks/templates/wizard directory of your codeblocks install to see the rest of the project wizards. You can get information about the scripting language from the codeblocks wiki. It's very simple to do, as I knocked up the AVR wizard which uses a port of the gcc compiler.