Author Topic: Can't debug with CodeBlocks  (Read 15631 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Can't debug with CodeBlocks
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 10:37:03 pm »
actually i didn't understand either. I thought the library formats depended on the compiler, not the extension. So if it's GCC, the .a / .lib file will have the same format, no matter the operating system... i suppose....

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 10:59:47 pm »
Yeap that's right, I'll quote from the link you provided:
simply change the names of the MS libraries to lib*.a (e.g. rename ddraw.lib to libddraw.a, and then don't forget to add the library search path with the -L option.)
Having the lib*.a format just makes gcc "understand" -l[name of lib] inputs. Though I don't know who you were refering to by saying you don't understand, I was just saying that if you include the dx libs using ms compiler the libraries will be straight available to u and with minGW you' ll have to provide path etc.
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

grv575

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 01:14:48 am »
Oh, true.  I guess if you can build a cross-compiler under linux to generate windows binaries, the linker can easily be configured to just output windows libs (and then use the lib*.a convention for "portability").

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 08:05:57 am »
Can't answer that for sure but I think no. The .a libs u use under windows have been built under windows.
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

grv575

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 03:07:43 pm »
yeah but the naming convention is the same so -llibname works on both.  that's all I mean by "portability".