Author Topic: suggestion: UI improvements  (Read 5751 times)

Offline ixfd64

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Facebook
suggestion: UI improvements
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:55:44 am »
I really like Code::Blocks, but after using it for a while, I feel that the user interface could use some improvements. These are merely cosmetic changes and do not affect the overall abilities of the program, but these minor fixes would still make Code::Blocks look more professional.

Here, the icons overlap onto the border. Making the tabbed menu a few pixels taller and moving the icons up should solve this. Also, "Logs & others" should be renamed to "Console."

Here, the text on some menus (options and keyboard shortcuts) is too close together. This could be fixed by widening the menus by just a few pixels (about ten will do).

The default size of the options menu is too small. This problem could be easily fixed. Also, the internal title text ("General settings") should be moved upwards by one pixel to prevent it from overlapping.

Other areas could also use some minor improvements. For example, the "X" button (for closing windows) could use a graphical makeover. The Ubuntu version looks much better. Speaking of the Ubuntu version, there seems to be a few cosmetic problems that are only present on the Ubuntu version. For example, the title bar of the debugger toolbar is too small, causing the "X" button to overlap.

That having been said, I'm not complaining about the GUI; I'm just saying that it could be improved! :)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: suggestion: UI improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:59:06 am »
Thanks for the suggestions! (altho I'm not a dev anymore  :P ) The team needs more people like you who know *exactly* what they want. Hey, why don't you join the team? :)

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:47 am »

you can see what i mean without to point cosmetic error :D
they are not killing me but it will be more nicer

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
  • Got to practice :)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »

Sorry that I'm off topic, but PsYhLo what theme is that one you are using? It looks nice for the eyes :) I would like to try it

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:02 pm »
nodoka from fedora project
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/nodoka/wiki
i change color manualy from customize theme -> colors
i can send you my "theme" :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:32:34 pm by PsYhLo »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »
I'm using clearlooks (very similar) and modified the colors as you have them on the screenshot to experiment the consequences on my eyes, Thanks!  :D

Offline ixfd64

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 01:53:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestions! (altho I'm not a dev anymore  :P ) The team needs more people like you who know *exactly* what they want. Hey, why don't you join the team? :)

Unfortunately, I stink at programming. :(

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:23 pm »
i have another suggestion to have opinion to change the color background of Code::Blocks, Thread search, Debugger and Build log tabs in
Logs & others panel i don't like this white color for BG it hurts my eyes :( it would be nice we can change this color :)

Edit:
and it would be more nicer :) if there has a button to hide the left and right panels something like Auto-hide message pane in Env. settings
but with button at tittle in pane

PS
sorry for my english
hope you understand me what i mean :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:16:57 pm by PsYhLo »

Offline JGM

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:21:36 am »
and it would be more nicer :) if there has a button to hide the left and right panels something like Auto-hide message pane in Env. settings
but with button at tittle in pane

wxAui already provides that, but codeblocks doesnt have it enabled, because some miss behaviour of wxAui. I was modifying the source of C::B to test those maximize and minimize buttons but the bottoms and top panels doesn't maximized well, only the side ones (left and right), this discussion was made already here (this forums)and there is a patch to fix that on wxAui, just needs some working.

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:58:12 am »
i need only theme side ones(left and right) no matter for bottom or top