Author Topic: Cleanup menu's  (Read 5675 times)

Prophet

Cleanup menu's
« on: August 25, 2005, 10:01:38 pm »

Hi coders, i'm new to code::blocks but i like it very much. I do have one thing that bothers me: the ui is ok, but still messy at some points. I'm not a good ui interface designer, but i did found some points that bother me:

There are duplicates in the menu, for example, the project tree has a drop down menu containing items like:
* Close project: Can be found in the tree-menu, main-menu under project and main-menu under file.

Same for the close all projects menu in the main menu: what does this do? close all projects and leave me with an empty workspace? Or close the workspace and open the default workspace? I would prefer a close workspace in the tree-dropdown.

*Add files/Add files recursive/Remove files: they are too in the mainproject menu. I believe it would be enough too have them
only in the tree-menu.

* Compile/clean/rebuild options, there are quite alot of them. They seem usefull but it would be nice too reduce them.

* Project tree options: they are also in the project tree menu, and i think they belong just there.

In the main menu there are also some things i don't understand:

Save project / save all projects: Do you really want to save separate projects?  You can't really see what has changed: the project, the workspace, which projects are changed and which not? I think save workspace will be enough, save all projects and the workspace.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Cleanup menu's
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:11:47 am »
We're planning to redesign some of the menu items. However, the redundant items were added by request of some users, who found navigating thru the main menu too bothersome. Also, having the items in the main menu is good for people who prefer navigating with the keyboard.

In any case, it's better to have a few extra menu items than to have none, don't you think? :)

Prophet

Re: Cleanup menu's
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 09:34:49 am »
In any case, it's better to have a few extra menu items than to have none, don't you think? :)

Well, actually, i prefer a more clean interface by sacrifycing some options. As I tried to point out: the usefullness of some options is debatable. But you said the menu's are planning to be redesigned, so we'll see what happens.