Author Topic: Great IDE, but just 3 small things...  (Read 4074 times)

nicefive

Great IDE, but just 3 small things...
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:49 pm »
First of all I must say that Code::Blocks is very impressive and real alternative to certain commercial compilers and with a lot less fuss.

I wanted to provide some feedback on 3 little things that would make it the best editor ever so here goes.

Thing 1: I press "Alt+E > C" all the time to copy stuff to the clipboard but the edit menu has 2 menu items bound to the letter "C" so this does not work.

Thing 2: When "thing 1" does not work I right click on the text to copy instead but have to go down 1 level from the main context menu to find copy.  If this could be on the top-level right click menu between a couple of seperators it would be awesome.

Thing 3: How can I sort the files in the my project, they seem to be in disk order so I find AnotherCoolClass.cpp at the bottom below ZebraClass.cpp .

Thats all, otherwise amazing but sorting the "copy" thing out would make me use it mainstream as I could code much faster with "Alt+E > C" as I am so used to pressing it.  "Ctrl+C" just don't cut it.

Oh and I am using the Win32 version.

My only convern is given that it has been 2 years between releases it seems unlikely that another version fixing the "C key" thing is forthcoming?

Nice job, its am amazing IDE.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Great IDE, but just 3 small things...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:31:15 pm »
Thing 1: I press "Alt+E > C" all the time to copy stuff to the clipboard but the edit menu has 2 menu items bound to the letter "C" so this does not work.

given CTRL+X/C/V is the windows standard for cut, copy and pase I'm amazed you don't use them.

the things you raise are definitely usability issues, although as you suspect somewhat low priority. in the past, the devs have discussed revamping the menus to allow for more user control, but that might be a few releases away...

Offline hckr83

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:19:14 am »
I agree with thing 2, even though most people use keyboard shortcuts for copy paste and such(the ctrl-c,x,z ones) I occasionally (when resting my left hand or something) use the context menus, so I don't have to move my hand off the mouse for nothign, and it always confuses me to have to wait for a drop-menu...

Offline Kos

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:58:46 pm »
In fact, the only situation when I use the context menu to cut/copy/paste things is when I use my old desktop - I once spilt tea on the keyboard and Ctrl's don't work as they should :]

Anyway, if you are displeased with default config, you can alter the shortcuts with KeyBinder plugin.