Author Topic: OpenGL reference plugin idea  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Barking_Mad

• Multiple posting newcomer
OpenGL reference plugin idea
« on: November 11, 2007, 01:55:18 am »
I am currently learning opengl programming and had the realisation that i could write a simple opengl reference plugin for code blocks, under the impression that "Plugins" are supposedly easily constructable, modular enhancements.

The idea was simple but in reality it seems very unlikely that i can achieve this, not because writing the logic or programming the script/code to do it is difficult, but because setting up the environment and multiple libraries and components is frustratingly difficult.

I have attempted to follow the wiki example for setting up and creating a wxWigets hello world project, for installing and compiling both SDKs without luck, twice  :x

Anyway, a simple task turned into a nightmare because of escalating complexity which just shouldnt be necessary for achieving the goal.

Ill now not be developing my plugin :P and wanted to vent some.....grrr...
WooF! WooF! - Ubuntu 8.10 & CB 5432 & GCC 4.3.2
To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour - W.B

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: OpenGL reference plugin idea
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:51:57 am »
Are you sure you wish to do a plugin?
A template seems to be what you are implying you wish to do.

You may wish to lookup up Code::Blocks templates.

Tim S

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »
What exactly is the purpose of such an OpenGL reference plugin? Surely not to add OpenGL rendering inside Code::Blocks... I could not imagine what that could be good for?

Are you talking about a tool to set up a project for an application that uses OpenGL? We have wizards that create projects for OpenGL, GLUT, and GLEW. I have last used the OpenGL one about 2 years ago, and the GLEW one a year ago (and have never used the GLUT one), but to my knowledge they all work OK.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Barking_Mad

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:01:27 am »
Apologies for being unclear. I wrote a script for another program that essentially would lookup any opengl function externally and return info on the function (not only params but usage info and descriptions). It served as a good, but hacky, quick reference when learning. I was looking to extend the idea to a code blocks plugin.

Its nothing you couldn't do with google, a decent book or something though. Just wanted to put it right where i needed it.

Oh and i don't want to seem ungrateful for a very nice piece of free software :) , so thanks!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:05:12 am by Barking_Mad »

Offline Barking_Mad

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:35:20 am »
Actually looking at a newer release of CB i see the koders query plugin is something along the lines of what i was going to do, ill have another stab at it later in the week.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:15:33 am »
Apologies for being unclear. I wrote a script for another program that essentially would lookup any opengl function externally and return info on the function (not only params but usage info and descriptions).
Just what everybody needs, actually. Cool idea, please do :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."