User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

Where to store the configuration of Code::Blocks

<< < (2/7) > >>

thomas:
What about something like %APPDATA%/codeblocks/codeblocks.ini on Windows and something like ~/.codeblocks under Linux? That would be the way every "good" application is doing it.

Speaking of taking back votes... could we have an option to vote for "xml", too? :)

rickg22:
I'd say xml is a must. Heck, I DO have a class for writing data into native XML! :shock:
I had written it for my job :P Maybe i could adapt it to read xml, too!

takeshimiya:
Haha, I was about to put an XML option, I want something different to the Registry right now! Because wxConfig INI's backend is already implemented. It's a one-line change to support INI files.

But the best way to handle an XML configuration file is already in the wxWidgets roadmap:  :wink:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/roadmap.htm
-Write wxConfig implementation using XML as backend:
    * Portable wxXMLConfig for all platforms

It's on the roadmap, so it will be implemented at some time, but of course, if you want wxXMLConfig right now, you must implement yourself (I don't think it would be difficult).
And then you can contribute it to the wxWidgets code itself. :)

Anyone?

thomas:

--- Quote from: takeshimiya on August 13, 2005, 04:20:57 am ---http://www.wxwidgets.org/roadmap.htm
[...]
It's on the roadmap, so it will be implemented at some time, but of course, if you want wxXMLConfig right now, you must implement yourself
--- End quote ---

But... but... but... we already have tinyxml packaged with code::blocks!

Tinyxml can read and write xml, and it is quite easy to use, and platform independent. Tinyxml works reliably and is reasonably efficient.

squizzz:

--- Quote ---Where will you prefer to store the configuration (in the Windows ver.)?
--- End quote ---
Definitely any external file (XML or .INI), rather than registry.

--- Quote ---If you vote for the INI File, where will be the best place for it?
In the same dir. as Code::Blocks? In the Documents and Settings of the current windows user?
--- End quote ---
I'd love to have it in the same dir as C::B, but this solution has some downsides, like rick22 mentioned.
I think I vote for Thomas' "something like %APPDATA%/codeblocks/codeblocks.ini on Windows and something like ~/.codeblocks under Linux" as default setting, with user's ability to change it to any other dir at Settings->Environment. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version