User forums > Embedded development

debugging with msp430-gdb?

(1/2) > >>

jumafra:
Hello ppl.
I'm trying to use msp430-gdb via msp430-gdbproxy to debug a small project in code::blocks, but it seems to be based on a rather old version of gdb (5.1). Is there a way to get it to work?
The command line calling the executable seems to give an unrecognized parameter -args, so if it were possible to suppress it maybe it could work.. Or are there any issues why it wouldn't work with current debugger plugin?
Currently using C::B rev 4491 under WinXP SP2
Thanks in advance
Regards
Juan

mariocup:
Hi jumafra,

where did you download the msp430 version? I have added the msp430 compiler to codeblocks and tested it with msp430-gdbproxy and the insight debugger (because when I made the changes the remote debugging in CB has not been so advanced as right now). Until now I did not have time to make a complete toolchain with installer, so perhaps you can attach your CB project and then I can have a closer look at it.

jumafra:
Hi Mariocup.

--- Quote from: mariocup ---where did you download the msp430 version?
--- End quote ---
I just grabbed the latest mspgcc release on sourceforge.
I kind of made a sort of a template for the toolchain in C::B.. well not really a template, just a project with some defines, and it has worked ok so far. Projects compile and link correctly. Only thing I don't know how to make work is the msp430-gdb inside C::B, and I'm not too familiar with debugging with gdb with command line
Regards
Juan

jumafra:
I just noticed that the latest revisions include setting for msp430 compiler, but they are different from what mspgcc toolchain expects. For instance, selecting a target device in the compiler settings adds -mcpu=target to the command line when mspgcc expects -mmcu=target. Is there any other gcc port for the msp430 mcus for which this settings are intended?
I also noticed that the program executable for the debugger is msp430-insight.exe instead of msp430-gdb.exe, but all references I found for that debugger seem outdated.
regards,
Juan

mariocup:
Hi jumafra,

we made some modifications of the msp430 compiler and also to the insight debugger. I added supported for msp430 compiler in CB and tested the mspgcc version with some examples and everything works fine. If you like I can send you the msp430 examples as codeblocks projects. As the mspgcc version uses cygwin, I want to switch to a cross build version for linux and mingw for windows. As soon I have some time I will make also an installer for the version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version