User forums > Using Code::Blocks

Code::Blocks successfully compiled on Suse 9.3

(1/3) > >>

killroy:
Hi.

First of all, I just want you to know that you guys, rock!!!
Code::Blocks is a dream come true for a free crossplatform C++ IDE.

I don't know if it's important to you, but I managed to compile it on Suse 9.3 with wxGTK 2.5.3 which is default for this version of Suse. I just had to follow your tutorial for Linux compilation (all distros). I had to change LIB_WXXRC and LIB_WXST in Makefile.unix to relate to my version of libraries. There was one catch, though. It seems that on Suse 9.3. there are both unicode and ASCII version of wxGTK, with unicode as default, so I had to change wxGTK configuration to ASCII. After that, everything went smooth.

I mostly work with Visual Studio 2003, so I was searching for a tool on linux that would have equally good and intuitive build system. I tried KDevelop, Anjuta and Eclipse. Maybe I don't know how to use them but I just couldn't make a project with source code in a separate directory from the project files and with a source tree directory structure. And with Code::Blocks it's so simple. I had my project up and running in no time.

I know you already know it, but it doesn't hurt to say it again:
This is a superb IDE for C++ development!!!
 :D

Killroy

AkiraDev:
Care to ellaborate on the necessary steps to get the non-unicode version running on SUSE 9.3?
I'd like to try that myself.

What's more, would you be willing to contribute with an RPM?

This is debated in this thread:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,663.0.html

Thank you for the good news.

rickg22:
Killroy: Which version of Code::Blocks did you use? 1.0-RC1-1?
CVS HEAD?
CVS VERSION_1_0 branch?

Please provide more details, as I'm having trouble compiling with makefiles on my machine :P (I use codeblocks to compile itself, but somehow the makefile got broken)

killroy:
Hey all,

Here is a more detailed description.

I used version 1.0-RC1-1 which I downloaded from websites download section.
WxGTK 2.5.3 is a standard Suse 9.3 package wxGTK-devel-2.5.3.1-5.i586.rpm

1. I had to change two lines in "Makefile.unix"
LIB_WXXRC=wx_gtk2_xrc-2.4
LIB_WXSTC=wx_gtk2_stc-2.4
To:
LIB_WXXRC=wx_gtk2_xrc-2.5
LIB_WXSTC=wx_gtk2_stc-2.5

2. Initially, default configuration for wxGTK was set to unicode libraries and because of that, compilation failed.
With "wx-config --list" you can see your default configuration and other available wxGTK configurations.
Supposedly, with "wx-config --unicode=no" you should be able to choose ansi configuration as default. For me that didn't work or I don't know how to properly use it.
Here comes the messy part but as long as it works I don't mind.
In /usr/lib/wx/config there are two files:
"gtk2-ansi-release-2.5"
"gtk2-unicode-release-2.5"
I logged as root and moved "gtk2-unicode-release-2.5" away from the directory and renamed "gtk2-ansi-release-2.5" to "gtk2-unicode-release-2.5"

Yes, I know it's stupid.  :D

3. After that it's all standard procedure described on the website pages:

# make -f Makefile.unix
# dos2unix -n update update.unix
# chmod +x update.unix
# ./update.unix

And if all goes well, the sweetest part:

# output/run.sh

AkiraDev:
I would gladly make rpm out of it, but I have never done this, so I will need to spend some time to see how it's done.

I hope this little overview helps you compile a great IDE.
 :D

Killroy

rickg22:
Mind researching into the ansi release? Or can someone indicate how to configure that?

I doubt users would like to login as root and move files...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version