Author Topic: C::B fails to start on Windows (Rev 4407)  (Read 18002 times)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
C::B fails to start on Windows (Rev 4407)
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:30:18 pm »
Since Rev 4407, C::B fails to start on Windows XP SP2. Running under GDB produces the following backtrace.

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to thread 516.0x374]
0x619bcdcd in BackgroundThread::Entry (this=0x1e87524)
    at C:/DevTools/CBSource/src/include/backgroundthread.h:170
170                     delete job;
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x619bcdcd in BackgroundThread::Entry (this=0x1e87524)
    at C:/DevTools/CBSource/src/include/backgroundthread.h:170
        job = (AbstractJob *) 0x1e8e050
#1  0x6ccff82b in wxmsw28u_gcc_cb!_ZN11wxSemaphore7TryWaitEv ()
   from C:\DevTools\CBSource\src\devel\wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x6ccff93d in wxmsw28u_gcc_cb!_ZN11wxSemaphore7TryWaitEv ()
   from C:\DevTools\CBSource\src\devel\wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll
#3  0x77c3a3b0 in msvcrt!_endthreadex () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
#4  0x01e87524 in ?? ()
#5  0x7c90ee18 in strchr () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
#6  0x7c96d8a8 in ntdll!RtlpNtMakeTemporaryKey ()
   from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
#7  0x01e878d8 in ?? ()
#8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

It seems that the changes made in rev 4407 broke some thing.

Can anyone confirm this??

Best Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: C::B fails to start on Windows (Rev 4407)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:56:17 pm »
Since Rev 4407, C::B fails to start on Windows XP SP2. Running under GDB produces the following backtrace.
Can anyone confirm this??
No - runs fine here, both: stripped and debug version. Did you try a clean rebuild (or tried removing the PCH files before)?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:43:16 am »
No - runs fine here, both: stripped and debug version. Did you try a clean rebuild (or tried removing the PCH files before)?

Now it runs fine (even with my Unicode patch). I removed the PCH files manually here and then recompiled. Thanks for the tip. :D

But, as we had discussed, this issue was present in my Lab's PC. I'll try there again on Monday by cleaning the PCH files manually and then rebuilding it.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:48:12 am »
But, as we had discussed, this issue was present in my Lab's PC. I'll try there again on Monday by cleaning the PCH files manually and then rebuilding it.
What could have happened: In case you copied the modified header file from the VM it may have had a date older then the PCH file. In that case the PCH file isn't re-compiled and thus points to a wrong interface. You might simple load/save the modified header files in question so that GCC will re-compiled the SDK PCH itself.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:02 pm »
Apologies!
I have completely re-compiled C::B from scratch (for various reasons). That means removed all object, libs and PCH files before. The new version (4410) crashes immediately on startup. The crash-log points to BackgoundThread, too. I have manually reverted 4407 (the revert of Thomas) and now it's working again.

So Thomas: In case you read this: We are two now having real issues after the revert of yours.

With regards, Morten.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:11:03 pm »
Thanks for confirming the issue, I have been having issues too. But, I just re-installed windows on a new Hard-Drive and was blaming the issue on that.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »
Apologies!
I have completely re-compiled C::B from scratch (for various reasons). That means removed all object, libs and PCH files before. The new version (4410) crashes immediately on startup. The crash-log points to BackgoundThread, too. I have manually reverted 4407 (the revert of Thomas) and now it's working again.

So Thomas: In case you read this: We are two now having real issues after the revert of yours.

With regards, Morten.
It's funny how code which is not used at all should cause a crash, but alright... I'm not going to revert-revert again, that's it for me then.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:35:16 am »
Apologies!

With regards, Morten.
It's funny how code which is not used at all should cause a crash, but alright... I'm not going to revert-revert again, that's it for me then.

Strangely as I posted earlier it works for me on my Laptop. But my code is not exactly from SVN and it contains Unicode patch (v3+) (Thomas and Morten know this). I am totally confused why it's working in some PC and not in others ??   :? :roll:

BTW, has anyone of you tried the following patch?? A PCH header should not be included in a header file.

Code
Index: src/include/backgroundthread.h
===================================================================
--- src/include/backgroundthread.h (revision 4410)
+++ src/include/backgroundthread.h (working copy)
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 #ifndef BACKGROUNDTHREAD_H
 #define BACKGROUNDTHREAD_H

-#include "sdk_precomp.h"
+//#include "sdk_precomp.h"
 #include "safedelete.h"

#undef new

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:02:21 am »
Well... why does the crash log point to this then?! Very strange...!? :shock:
Maybe you could tell us for what reason exactly you reverted whatever you reverted?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
Maybe you could tell us for what reason exactly you reverted whatever you reverted?
The reason is simple: Rick reverted my code because he did not understand it. The extra code was meant to provide a way to cancel jobs in a mostly safe way (mostly, because if you delete from two different threads, a race condition can occur). As no code currently calls Delete(), I don't see how it could affect anything, to be honest (unless you mix pre-4110 plugins with a post-4110 application, or something like that).

But hey, if you think that it causes a problem, then just revert it again, I don't mind. Don't be afraid, I'll not re-revert it.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 12:20:34 pm »
Now this issue is really strange. On my PC in Lab, it fails to start. But same works on my Laptop. Both of them are unicode patched.I've tried it today by cleaning all object files, pch files. But I'm still in a fix over why it works on one PC and doesn't work on another. :?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 01:13:02 pm »
Well, like I said, the modified code is not executed at all under normal conditions.

The extra code only runs if the boolean variable deleted is true. It is initialised to false in the constructor, and it can only legally become true if the Delete() function is called (which obviously is not the case, otherwise you could not build Code::Blocks prior to the re-revert, it would yield undefined symbols).

Thus, it is my assumption that the "bug" comes simply from mixing old and new components. Old code would not know about that data member and would not have a constructor that initialises it, obviously. Thus, the value would be undefined (most likely not zero) and this sure would crash.

But again... I was planning on working on this class to remove the race condition that can occur in one situation, so there was actually a way to safely abort jobs (which I thought might be a good thing). So I was starting from the previously committed version.

However, if this causes so much trouble, then just screw it... revert the modifications, and leave it :)
We'll not have the ability to abort jobs then, but so what...

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:06:58 pm »
However, if this causes so much trouble, then just screw it... revert the modifications, and leave it :)
We'll not have the ability to abort jobs then, but so what...

I did a clean-up as you suggested earlier. But the result remained same.

Honestly, I'm not in favour of a revert. If it works on one machine and doesn't work on another, then the other machine config may have some problem. I'll look into it. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:10:58 pm by Biplab »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 05:21:47 pm »
Honestly, I'm not in favour of a revert.
Me not either.

Hence consider this:
I compiled C::B 4410 at home -> crashes always. I copied this version on my USB stick and took it to work. Guess what? Here it *works*! It's binary identical with the home version (even the wx DLL is binary the very same -> I copied that, too).

So it's really stochastic somehow. The only thing I could see was after removing contrib plugins step-by-step at home it used to work after a while. But even that was not reproducible to pinpoint a special plugin. I tried two times: The first time it worked after removing BrowseTracker, the second time it worked after removing ByoGames (alphabetical order ;-)). I could swear both are *not* the reason. :-(

With regards, Morten.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 05:27:21 pm »
In multithreaded apps, random or "stochastic" symptoms indicate multithreading problems 90% of the time.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)