Author Topic: Simplify Find and Replace dialog  (Read 3199 times)

mariocup

Simplify Find and Replace dialog
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:19:30 am »
Hi,

the search menu offers 4 entries: Find, Find in Files, Replace and Replace in Files. In my eyes this could be reduced in one menu entry Find and Replace and the interface could be simplified. So why not show only the Find in files dialog with e.g. checkbox (replace) and the find button (next to cancel) will change to a replace button.

What do other users think about that?

Offline jpaterso

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Simplify Find and Replace dialog
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:00 am »
I agree. I think that the {Find, Replace} in files should be merged with the simple {Find, Replace}, and "Current file" should be added to the scope items.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
Re: Simplify Find and Replace dialog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:24:54 pm »
I like the idea of merging the replace option but I also have 2 hobbyist friends that always end up accidentally replacing stuff when they only are trying to do finds and appreciate the accident free option in C::B.

On the other hand I prefer 'files' being seperate for much the same reason.  I can have keyboard shortcuts set to bring up one vs the other and the dialog be ready to do exactly what i want, with no checkboxes required.  Saves me -quite- a few clicks over the course of a project.

-IF- a unified box does get added, I would appreciate a user option somewhere that will allow someone revert to the non-unified versions.  'Find' could even be implimented as a plugin with the current version being one plugin and the unified version another.  *shrugs*