Author Topic: Unicode conversion (attention all devs)  (Read 85931 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: UNICODE: ATTENTION ALL DEVS
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 03:48:40 pm »
You should TAG the current VERSION_1_0 branch in cvs before committing any unicode updates.

I did :-) thanks for the suggestion.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 04:03:48 pm »
Oh yes, I searched the source code ant it appears there are no "char" types defined in the project, all are wxChar's (that's a good thing :) ).

sorry rick, but i think you need a better search tool ! i've found 980 occurrences of "char"
not all of them are "hits" but a lot of them are !

my search results are attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 04:12:38 pm »
Oops :oops: my mistake. I had only searched the groups i was fixing ^^;

You're right. ALL char references MUST be converted to wxChar's, UNLESS they're sent as parameters to non-unicode-supporting functions (like tinyxml or something).

Update: It appears cbeditor.cpp uses byte buffers for reading and saving files. ARGH! It's the one that relies HEAVILY on wxStyledTtextControl! I say we leave cbEditor FOR THE END.

I see a problem with ASBeautifier. It seems to need a full conversion :-S
Someone contact the guys and tell 'em about it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 04:23:41 pm by rickg22 »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 06:41:58 pm »
One question - if wxStrring is used as a param inside printf-like function should it be converted using c_str() or mb_str() ?

Example:

Code
tmpkey.Printf(_T("%s/editor/keywords/%d"), key.c_str(), i);

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 06:46:06 pm by byo »

elvstone

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 06:46:27 pm »
Hi Code::Blocks developers!

I'm using a Unicode build of wx 2.6.x on top of FreeBSD on my machine, and I'm looking forward to trying to get C::B running on it. When do you think I can expect the Unicode fixes discussed in this topic to hit CVS? I'm eager to check out and start testing C::B and maybe help out if there's lot of Unicode fixes left to be made. I've developed Unicode enabled wx applications before, and know about the issues involved. Just finished a non-programming project at work, and as a result I have some free summer time that I'd be glad to spend on getting a promising IDE running on my favourite OS. Any of the groups described by Rick still not assigned to anyone?

Best regards,
Aron Stansvik

Edit: Oh right. You don't happen to have an IRC channel somewhere?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 06:55:23 pm »
Hi Code::Blocks developers!

I'm using a Unicode build of wx 2.6.x on top of FreeBSD on my machine, and I'm looking forward to trying to get C::B running on it. When do you think I can expect the Unicode fixes discussed in this topic to hit CVS? I'm eager to check out and start testing C::B and maybe help out if there's lot of Unicode fixes left to be made. I've developed Unicode enabled wx applications before, and know about the issues involved. Just finished a non-programming project at work, and as a result I have some free summer time that I'd be glad to spend on getting a promising IDE running on my favourite OS. Any of the groups described by Rick still not assigned to anyone?

Best regards,
Aron Stansvik

Edit: Oh right. You don't happen to have an IRC channel somewhere?
You are welcome to help of course, I think that Rick is updating the cvs constanly, so you can test it whenever you want ;) and submit patches by e-mail to Rick.

No we don't have an IRC channel
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

elvstone

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 07:06:44 pm »
Okay.

Because I was browsing the CVS at SourceForge and saw no Unicode-related commits yet, even though (judging by previous posts in this thread) some work has already been done. I'll keep monitoring the CVS until these changes are commited, don't want to risk duplicating work already done in the developers' local copies.

Thanks,
Aron

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 07:42:13 pm »
i've made a rough table (needs to be edited and extended) of the files in \src\sdk

if someone wants to help, please look in this table, and find *your* files to edit
please post which files you are processing. You can copy/edit this table, add your
comments and repost them here.

after editing/compiling/testing send the edited files by email to rickg22

Code
This table was removed. Updated version a few posts below.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 04:30:08 am by rickg22 »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 07:58:29 pm »
I've been missed - I'm working on 6,7 and 8 :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 08:28:15 pm »
Hmmm, if it's VERSION_1_0 I shouldn't touch the help plugin there, but now you scared me about the ASBeautifier. It uses C++ strings so what would you suggest? Convert from Unicode wxString to string or try to replace string to wstring?

elvstone

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 08:49:01 pm »
Ok. I've started working on group 16. I'm on a FreeBSD machine with only a Unicode build of wxWidgets 2.6.0 installed. This means I can only test the code to the point where I see that there are no Unicode-related errors like ambigous overloads/convertions in the files I'm working on, when compiling with the headers from my Unicode enabled wx installation, since compiling the entire application for testing on my machine would require all the Unicode issues to be fixed already. I hope that this is okay and that you guys can test the application logic on your machines after my changes.

Aron

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 09:13:50 pm »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 09:18:08 pm »
My current status :

Code
Table removed by Rick. See updated table a few posts below

only testing left ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 04:30:50 am by rickg22 »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2005, 09:31:31 pm »
I'm working on group 14. Who wants group 15?

darklordsatan

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 09:59:44 pm »
I'm working on group 14. Who wants group 15?
If you dont need it to be done like in 3 hours from now (Id probably be done for tomorrow), then Im in.
If you agree, then, what should I download? The sources pointed in the download section or the cvs snapshot?

Cheers