Author Topic: RC1-1 Issues  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
RC1-1 Issues
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:27:14 am »
(win2k)

The program often crashes on exit. I haven't had it happen often enough to know for sure what causes it, but it seems to be when I change options that require a restart, and then shut down. (actually, now closing it twice, it just always crashes. There is a delay and a period of hardrive access, and then a violation and a forced shutdown...) It used to just shut down in the blink of an eye.

All my project things on the side are always opening up to full view. Would be nice if they could stay minimized until I opened them, and retain their closed status through different sessions. (I have all my pojects under the default workspace).

The matching brace background color still goes to white, and has to be manually set to the editor's background color.

The autohiding message thing doesn't actually, hide it just moves itself down, so I still see the top of it, and not the tabs I might need to click on.

Speaking of which. Clearing the messages just because I had a successfuly compile, and my program executed is not always very helpful, I sometimes miss warnings, or some other output I need to read, but it was cleared when my program executes. 'Command execution failed' is also a bit too vague, as I try to set up my paths as I had them in the previous version and I can't tell which command is failing. Why not 'Command Exceution failed (xxx.exe)'?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:45:13 am by Vampyre_Dark »
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
Re: RC1-1 Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 03:13:06 am »
Odd, now it doesn't crash. I'll try and find out for sure what the cause is of crashing on startup. I think it was something in the view menu, as it crashes when I toggled the message pane autohide and the close button near editors.

There are some extra steps needed to install VC++2003tk, as you need to set all the platform SDK directories, and the resource compiler is in another folder. (Your settings let me pick an .exe, but don't save the folder, I have to add the fodler manually). Also there is the missing cvtres.exe that needs to be downloaded. Maybe I can write up a guide for you guys to include in the installing a compiler section, or you can add the directiories to the platform SDK?

brandon8863

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 04:07:14 am »
I'm curious, I've only recently downloaded CodeBlocks, but what debugger are you using with vc++2003tk? Is it integrated into CodeBlocks?

Also, a guide would be great!

Brandon.

EDIT: Also, have you ever received the 'Command execution failed...' while about 90 percent through compiling? (large code base BTW)

EDIT: Found your thread on the .rc related command exec issue, thanks!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 04:35:51 am by brandon8863 »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 04:42:09 am »
90% through seems to be the resource compiler, various stages of it. See below.

Okay, first you have to make sure you have all your directories set right.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\inc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\lib

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\inc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin *

*This folder is an extra folder you have to add, so it can find the resource compiler. CB seems to expect all your .exes to be in one bin directory, but not with the free toolkit. Then, you'll be missing cvtres.exe, google for it, as I think my old posts are deleted now(?) since the new forums. You can download it. place the exe in either bin folder, and you are all set.

As for debuggers. I have never used a debugger in my life. :oops: I've never needed one. I keep my code simple, and test it one section at a time. When I have a bug, it's usually easy to mentally step through my code and find the culprit line, or failing that I use text output to watch my variables manually.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 12:06:25 am by Vampyre_Dark »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:56:36 am »
Hmmm, funny.

I still get the same error when trying to open up a CPP file by clicking on it. Cannot find the file 'c:\code\project\whatever.cpp' (or one of it's compnents). Make sure the path and filename are correct, and that all required libraries are available. But now in the instance that would open the file, I get a messagebox saying that there is already an instance opened, and that this one is aborting. :) ( I was told a long time ago this bug was killed in the cvs version.)

You can't just open my file in the other instance, and kill the new one quietly?

Anyways, I like the tabs now, keep up the good work. I don't use wx stuff, or programming for linux.  I wish I could be more help in tracking these down and fixing them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:16:51 am by Vampyre_Dark »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 10:40:01 pm »
Odd, my crash issues seems to have completly gone away. Since after the day of the first post, it's been smooth sailing. Is there some way that I can keep the colour settings for the editor between releases? it took me over an hour to get them where they needed to be.

brandon8863

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 11:10:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply, everything is working.

B--