Author Topic: Reassigned keyboard shortcuts randomly disappear?  (Read 5139 times)

Gimpmaster

Reassigned keyboard shortcuts randomly disappear?
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:47:03 am »
I've been using code::blocks on ubuntu now for the last couple of days. Its a great program and I really enjoy it. However I've been having this strange problem that the keyboard shortcuts that I re-assign will just randomly stop working.

I like they visual studio shorts cuts: F5 debug, F10 step, F11 step into, etc.

So first I tried making a new keyboard shortcuts profile and called it Visual Studio. I then re-asigned all the buttons and they worked. However if you restart codeblocks they don't work anymore and they go back to the defaults. So instead i changed the primary key profile to match what i wanted.

This works and you can restart code::blocks and they will still be there. However, if you restart again or reboot your computer SOME (not all) of the assigned keys will just randomly go back to their default or no key at all. This gets pretty annoying as you can imagine.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions to make this work and stick? I havne't played around with any other settings other than this.

Thanks

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Reassigned keyboard shortcuts randomly disappear?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:33:02 pm »
Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions to make this work and stick? I havne't played around with any other settings other than this.

I've heard about this problem before, but have been unable to reproduce it.

But I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Other have stated that it occurs only on the debug menu. Is this true for you also?

Do any windows users have this problem?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:53:15 pm »
... if you restart again or reboot your computer SOME (not all) of the assigned keys will just randomly go back to their default or no key at all.
Thanks

I'm guessing that the problem happens when the debugger initializes it's default keys *after* keybinder has already loaded the keybinding.

If a plugin resets its keys after the key bindings are already loaded, KeyBinder records the new keys within 15 seconds.

When the keys disappear would you please attach your Code::Blocks Debug log to this thread.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:22:20 pm »
I'm guessing that the problem happens when the debugger initializes it's default keys *after* keybinder has already loaded the keybinding.

If a plugin resets its keys after the key bindings are already loaded, KeyBinder records the new keys within 15 seconds.
Instead, increase KeyBinder's priority, so it is loaded first.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:58:50 pm »

Instead, increase KeyBinder's priority, so it is loaded first.

Actually I might be wrong about the loading order being a problem.

KeyBinder is loading its bindings on the cbEVT_APP_STARTUP_DONE event.

I thought that would be the right place to do it. I was thinking that all the plugins would have been loaded by then, and they would have already set their menu command keys. Then keyBinder would re-set them to the users bindings.

I cannot figure out how the debugger could be "resetting" the command keys after EVT_APP_STARTUP_DONE.

But once it does, keyBinder will record them within 15 seconds.

Of course, I could be all wet about all this guessing.

Secondly, I cannot seem to recreate the problem with my collection of plugins, so I'm updating Ubuntu to wx2.8.4 today and will try to re-create the problem with the nightly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and where do I do a priority modification?
Wouldn't keyBinder want to be the lowest priority so it gets loaded last in order to do the "final" key settings?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 05:03:51 pm by Pecan »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:01:12 pm »
I can now recreate the problem with the ubuntu nightly and it's compliment of plugins. Had to update to wx2.8.4 to get the problem.

This seems to be a unix problem only. The windows nightly does not exhibit the behaviour.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:09:05 pm by Pecan »

Gimpmaster

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 10:48:03 pm »
Good I'm glad you can re-create it. Thank you. Hopefully you can get it fixed cause it does stink to have to redo 10 keys every day when i start it up.

Could you please post here if a new nightly build comes out that has the problem fixed?

Thanks!

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 11:52:26 pm »
Fixed SVN 4338

Gimpmaster

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »
Thank you,

I'll try it out soon.