Author Topic: assembler files  (Read 14633 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
assembler files
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:04:14 pm »
I am doing embedded development for devices based upon :
 - arm
 - motorola coldfire
 - ti DM642

Some of these compilers have a dedicated tool for compiling assembler files. Typical extension are : .s and .asm
So this is something we are lacking currently in CB :
 - assembler file type (next to sources, headers, object files, libraries, ..)
 - special dedicated assembler tool in the toolchain settings

mariocup

Re: assembler files
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:26:56 pm »
Hi killerbot,

yes I agree. The assembler sources should not be listed under the category others. But the extension .S should also be added for assembler files that are preprocessed.

Mandrav add a new forum for embedded: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,22.0.html

I think, that CB is so a cool IDE and should also support the requirements for embedded targets like:
- A Tab for setting Assembler and Linker options
- A debugger console
- Support of different protocols (remote etc.)
- Interrupt button
- Mixed mode (source, assembler) in assembler view
- Multiple watch windows (e.g. for special function registers)

We should discuss the features and other requirements for embedded with other users.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:43:29 pm »
hi

i'm using CB too for my embedded development,
and maybe it could be nice to see the assembler files in another category then "others"
but it isn't very important to me.

the main important thing is that i can use highligthing-schemes for my assembler files
for convenient editing.

also i do not miss an autogenerated build system,
because almost all my embedded projects need so many tweaks
dependent of the used hardware environment, that i prefer
to build my own makefiles which i can use with CB to build the project.

especially when i'm using DSP's too it is often necessary to build the DSP firmware with the DSP tools,
but i link several DSP modules to a Hitachi firmware, because the DSP firmware is then loaded under control of a Hitachi uC
into the DSP during runtime dependent of the actually required DSP function.

with my makefiles i control the process how to assemble, compile and link the various
pieces and i doubt, that i would use any CB GUI to do that.

i agree, the possibility to use any JTAG debugger with CB would be very convenient !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:46:39 pm by tiwag »

mariocup

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:23:13 pm »
Hi tiwag,

I saw some time ago at berlios that you wrote tools for embedded (etools). Is there any development on these tools?

I think that some of the existing features could be extended to fit the requirements for embedded. In the embedded systems user have to write own startup code, define entry symbols, setting specific options for the assembler, perform postbuilt steps like flash programming or writing a own linker description file.

For example I would love it to have an attribute (built always or not) for every postbuilt step, so that flash programming is not done always.
Or a user interface for the linker description file. Writing a own linker description file is very difficult, so perhaps we can discuss a concept for it, if other user are interested.
We should also discuss how the debugger can better support embedded debugging. View of registers, memory etc, debugging multiple targets in Codeblocks.

stanley

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:18:58 pm »
Can you please let me know about some debuggers?