Author Topic: Deployment of developed application  (Read 7255 times)

Offline BPak

• Single posting newcomer
Deployment of developed application
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:28:09 am »
Hi to all Code::Block users.

I am new here.

I would like to know if Code::Blocks requires any special software like wxWidgets to be installed on a clients machine when they install my program??

Or does the Code::Blocks application do all the necessary work when sent to my customers??

Thanks...

mariocup

Re: Deployment of developed application
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:01:47 am »
Hi,

if you are building CB from source you need in addtion the libs mingwm10.dll and wxmsw28u_gcc.dll (see the nightly builds). So CB will run out of the box without installing other software.

Bye

Alturin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:25 am »
Hi to all Code::Block users.

I am new here.

I would like to know if Code::Blocks requires any special software like wxWidgets to be installed on a clients machine when they install my program??

Or does the Code::Blocks application do all the necessary work when sent to my customers??

Thanks...

Code::Blocks is an IDE, unless you are creating a wxSmith/wxWidgets program it doesn't add any dependencies.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:25:18 am »

Code::Blocks needs wxWidgets and MinGW runtime dlls.

But your program may / may not need them which depends upon the build configuration, libraries you use.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline BPak

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:33:08 am »
Thanks for the info.

When I send my application to a client - they wont need any other installation other than my program.

I suppose there is an Installation builder with CB that will include  mingwm10.dll and wxmsw28u_gcc.dll with the program I build.

Unless I use other Libraries then I need supply them.

That sounds great. I definitely will try working with CB.  I mainly need it for Linux!!

I did not want to use a language that my clients needed to go and download other installs like they do when using .NET  - I have had negative response when suggesting it to them in the past!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:41:57 pm »
Your program will have requirements according to what you are building.

If you use the MinGW compiler, the only base requirement on the target machine is the MSVCRT library, which is available on every computer running Windows. That doesn't mean you can't have other dependencies.

If you use the Cygwin compiler, you will have to distribute the Cygwin runtime library.

If you use the XYZ compiler, you may need ABC...

If you use any other library (Windows-specific or other ones, such as wxWidgets) then these will be required on the target computers. For example, if you build a DirectX10 application, then the target computers must have DirectX10 (not 9, not 8, not anything else).
You may even have to look up symbols dynamically to ensure your program works with different library versions. It absolutely depends what you want to do, and what you want to target.

Code::Blocks does not know anything about this and will not do anything about it. It is the developer's responsibility.

Under Linux, it is even more complicated since distributions are not standardized. If you cannot distribute the sources (along with a configure/build environment) then you will have to compile one package for every distribution. Most package managers under Linux allow you to define things like "must have X and Y installed" so these will be automatically installed with your program if you do it right (which is not always easy).
But again, Code::Blocks knows nothing about this, it's your task to figure out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:45:38 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline BPak

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:18:07 am »
Thank you for the detail Thomas. You have made it very clear for me. I originally thought the libraries would have to be on the clients computer, but had to ask.
Thanks everyone.