Author Topic: Free the Editors  (Read 28368 times)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Free the Editors
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:33 am »
oh yeah, please report stability issues. even though I have tested on win32 and linux there are sure to be some problems.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 06:44:30 am »
like crashes if you leave undetached editors/logs open when you shut down CB :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:37 am »
I wish I could apply the patch first...

Quote from: patch -p0 < edfree.patch
patching file src/include/wxFlatNotebook/include/wx/wxFlatNotebook/wxFlatNotebook.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
patch: **** malformed patch at line 488:

I don't really feel like patching manually :(

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 06:49:45 am »
might be line endings. try opening in your favorite editor, saving and closing (even try something like the dos editor "edit"). also did you use switch -p0 (its what i have to use on the patch utility in win32)(sorry: didn't read closely enough)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:51:20 am by dmoore »

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:36 am »
Ran it thru dos2unix and things got better, but it still failed trying to patch wxFlatNotebook.h

Quote from: patch -p0 < edfree.patch
patching file src/include/wxFlatNotebook/include/wx/wxFlatNotebook/wxFlatNotebook.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 128.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 138.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 179.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 215.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 360.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 545.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 695.
8 out of 8 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/include/wxFlatNotebook/include/wx/wxFlatNotebook/wxFlatNotebook.h.rej

I'm trying to patch it manually after all :P

[edit]
I ran that .h thru dos2unix and it got even better, but still fails in some places.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:54:21 am by Ceniza »

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 06:53:31 am »
if it's only that file, it shouldn't take long at all

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 07:06:50 am »
have to run. hope you have some success with it!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 07:10:02 am »
I'll have to continue fighting with autotools now because some files need some includes that aren't addressed by Makefile.am.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 12:17:10 pm »
Now that you have opened Pandora's box... allow me to ask why we don't really try to replace wxFlatNotebook with wxAUINotebook. Just for consideration.

wxFlatNotebook has served us well in the past, true. It is themable to a certain extend, true. However, it does have a few smaller issues too, and we compile and link an extra library when we already compile and link another library that has similar (or better?) functionality built-in.
I don't know how mature the wxAUI notebook/tearoff code is, but I guess there's enough review now with it being in the mainstream package.

What I would love to see, too, would be to have some control (no matter which) own editors and that's it. The application should not know whether an editor is shown in a tab or in a tear-off window. Why should it know, anyway?

Also, remember how much code was necessary (and how many problems occurred and had to be fixed) to implement split-view editors. Would it not be nice if the application just created two editors, told the AUI window manager to stack them, and then told one window to forward events to the other? No keeping track of anything, you would not even know that you have split view enabled. Or what about having 4 or 5 views of the same file open? Even that should be possible without a lot of hassle.
OK, to be honest I could not imagine having 5 views of the same file open, but I don't use split view anyway (confuses me big time). Still, would it not be cool if it just worked?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline pauliusz

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:55 pm »
I vote for wxAuiNotebook. The only problem is that it is not in the wx2.6 :(

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 12:49:25 pm »
By coincidence, I was checking out AuiNotebook in 2.8 just earlier.
It does all wxFNB does and even some things more. Of course, to be used in the context of C::B I 'd have to test it extensively but seems like it 'd be doable.

The only thing that wxFNB does which AUI does not, is that with AUI the tabs are always at the top of the notebook while wxFNB allows you to put them at the bottom. I don't know how crucial this is for people, I 'm just mentioning it.

And, of course, to use AUI we 'd need to jump to 2.8 and drop 2.6. I have no problem with that but it remains to be seen if the other devs would be ok with such a move.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 01:23:25 pm »
And, of course, to use AUI we 'd need to jump to 2.8 and drop 2.6. I have no problem with that but it remains to be seen if the other devs would be ok with such a move.

I've no problem with such move. Most (I think all) of the wx-2.8 related issues are resolved now. :)

Already wxSmith is compilable with wx-2.8 only, as posted by Lieven (http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,6339.0.html). So wx-2.6 port remains broken after certain rev of wxSmith.

Only problem is some of the Linux distros are still lacking wx-2.8 package which could be a problem for us if we switch to wx-2.8 completely.  :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
Not only Linux distros have this problem, BSD's only have 2.6 packages and ports. (I think all of the BSD's, but FreeBSD could be an exception...)
But it is fine with me to move toward 2.8. We can look for a solution to move the tabs (feature request?) ;)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:18 pm »
What I would love to see, too, would be to have some control (no matter which) own editors and that's it. The application should not know whether an editor is shown in a tab or in a tear-off window. Why should it know, anyway?

Yes, this is the simplest approach and what I tried to achieve with the TearawayNotebook. The only stuff outside of the notebook at the moment is the context menu (and that's becase of the way wxFlatNotebook handles menus). However, if you want state information about window positions to be stored persistently the application is going to have to know at least something about state of the windows, no?

As a user I have no objections to the switch, although i'm not sure that wxAUINotebook will give you all that much more than the latest version of wxFlatNotebook for free?

Also, remember how much code was necessary (and how many problems occurred and had to be fixed) to implement split-view editors. Would it not be nice if the application just created two editors, told the AUI window manager to stack them, and then told one window to forward events to the other? No keeping track of anything, you would not even know that you have split view enabled. Or what about having 4 or 5 views of the same file open? Even that should be possible without a lot of hassle.
OK, to be honest I could not imagine having 5 views of the same file open, but I don't use split view anyway (confuses me big time). Still, would it not be cool if it just worked?

all nice :) but I don't see how you could avoid writing a bunch of new code to get it  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:08:06 pm by dmoore »

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 02:43:02 pm »
I would just like to say that I really like mixing where the tabs are located. (i.e. top/bottom) The new version of wxFlatNotebook is really good and comes with a configuration dialog now and even more styles. I vote for sticking with wxFlatNotebook.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB