Author Topic: Multiple Floating Editor Windows  (Read 5850 times)

zarnce

Multiple Floating Editor Windows
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:56:08 pm »
Code::Blocks has the same issue I have with VS.  If you are using multiple monitors the second monitor is basically useless.  Would it be possible (is the Gui library capable) to have floating editor windows like you can with the Open File List or Management bars?  I wanted to know before I went digging in the code to see if it would work.

Thanks
  Zarnce

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Multiple Floating Editor Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:12:56 pm »
That's unluckily not possible at the present time. All editors are owned by a wxFlatNoteBook control, and tabs  are not "floatable".
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:31:48 pm »
or put another way: if you are going to do some hacking, wxFlatNotebook would be the natural place to start.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:48:50 pm »
Now that'd be cool.  Integrating wAUI with wxFlatNotebook so we could detach for example, the compiler messages :)

zarnce

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:15:21 pm »
So how much of an effort would this be?  Can anyone give a decent estimation?  Having multiple editor windows would be really useful. (Especially since a lot of people use multiple monitors these days - I have 3)  I'm assuming that it would take a fairly large design change to make it work?

Thanks
  Zarnce

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:27:57 pm »
Not much, drop wxFlatNotebook and replace it with wxAuiNotebook (or something like that)
The only drawback is that you have to drop wxFlatNotebook...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

zarnce

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:48 pm »
Would adding a parent-control for the notebook control, and let it aggregate information from the children controls.  I'm not sure how you would beable to move editors from one tab control window to another ...

from (editor control)<->*(editors) to (editor control controller)<->*(editor control)<->*(editors)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:10:09 pm »
all editors are ultimately owned by the EditorManager (even if there are notebooks etc that handle the view). there are lots of ways to implement multiple views. the main constraint is that you can't break the publicly exposed methods of EditorManager (e.g. retain the concept of an active editor etc) and you shouldn't need to touch the editor classes at all. No matter what approach you take you will not be able to avoid a pretty heavy coding session :)

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 07:10:19 pm »
Wow,
I have been thinking of this for some time now.
I just posted in two threads mentioning this without seeing this thread :D

This feature would be really cool :)