Author Topic: virtual folders on code::blocks???  (Read 10494 times)

Offline idhan

• Multiple posting newcomer
virtual folders on code::blocks???
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:36:53 pm »
Hi,

I am using visual studio 2005 an is great, but now I have to move on linux. I have try Kdevelop and so far is very good, but doesn't have "virtual folders". When I say "Virtual folders" I means the property on visual studio to organizer you files in some "virtual folders" independently that you .cpp and .h files are all in the same physical folder. This way I can have some files inside of a "opengl" folder as example, and others inside of a "data base" folder and so on (also each virtual folder can have sub folders). This let me find very easily my files. On Kdevelop I just can see the list of classes sorted by name, or the list of files sorted by names and isn't what i really need. The only possibility I have is to really put the files on different physical folders but of course isn't really the idea. So my question is: Code::blocks has this functionality?? or only I can see the list of classes sorted by name??

So far I have try to import my visual studio project on code::blocks (the last beta version), but I can't see this functionality.

thanks for any comment.

regards,

Idhan.

Offline jpaterso

Re: virtual folders on code::blocks???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »
Code::Blocks definitely has virtual folder support. Right click on your project -> Add new virtual folder.

Offline idhan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:43:16 pm »
Thanks jpaterso,

Yes, code:blocks has this functionality :-). Do you know why if I import a visual studio project on code::blocks, doesn't organizer my files on the same virtual folders as the original project?? It is this missing in the "import" process?? or I need to do something special??

So far my project have many many virtual folders and files and I don't want to do the all process manually.

thanks again,

regards,

Idhan.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:58:22 pm »
It is this missing in the "import" process??
Well, it is probably missing. If I remember correctly virtual folders were added just a few months ago while there were no bigger modifications to the importer for a quite longer time, probably more that 1.5 years.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

spintz

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 04:59:58 pm »
I'm a Visual Studio 2005 user as well, but people that use my project, would like CodeBlocks support.

My first problem is that I cannot RightClick on a virtual folder and add files to it.  I have to add files to the project( they automatically go into a source folder even though I have the 'Categorize by file types' unchecked ) and then one by one, drag them to the virtual folder I created.  I would be happy to do this process, if I could multi-select files in the ProjectTree and move them as a group to a virtual folder, but I think it would be easier just to allow a RightClick option on VirtualFolders for doing this.

I also noticed a bug.  I create a virtual folder, added files via the process stated above, then I noticed the 'Display folders as on disk' was checked, so I unchecked it.  I then did something really weird, so I re-checked and all the files I'd added to the project and moved to the virtual folder were gone.  The virtual folder was still there, but the files weren't.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:35 pm »
Guys, is someone working on this issue yet? I tried to add files to a virtual folder by right clicking, but the feature isn't there yet :(

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:06:06 pm »
AFAIK, you can drag the files from the Project Manager Tree and drop them on the corresponding virtual folder. But the caveat is you can drag one file at a time.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:10:09 pm »
I see. Also, I have another feature request. Is it possible to show a file in BOTH its physical and virtual folder at the same time?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 06:23:31 pm »
I see. Also, I have another feature request. Is it possible to show a file in BOTH its physical and virtual folder at the same time?

I fixed couple of virtual folder related bugs sometimes back. But I'm not sure whether this request can be fulfilled before the next stable release. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.