Author Topic: new wxWidgets project wizard  (Read 3584 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
new wxWidgets project wizard
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:03:14 pm »
I would like to ask for an extra setup step. The moment you have specified that you want a debug and release target, and you specified the wx (eg by #wx), then in most cases people will get the warning that the debug buld will not be able to build because no 'debug' configuration can be found for wx.

I would suggest that in the case it is not found, and in the case such a wx debug config exist, the user is notified of the possible choices so he can pick one. Why, for many cases I assume people want a debug and release target of their project (debug fo debugging and release for optimized release build), without actually caring about a debug wx configuration. [Just like  we develop CB very often with a wx release config, but nevertheless we build a CB debug version].

So when the user says he wants a debug target, present an (advanced) option to specify if he wants to use a wx debug configuration (suggestion : default ; debug/release both use the release configuration of wx), and only when the user chooses to use the wx debug configuration and it is not present throw a warning/error message.

Just my little 5 cents ;-)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
Re: new wxWidgets project wizard
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:06:26 pm »
I would like to ask for an extra setup step. The moment you have specified that you want a debug and release target, and you specified the wx (eg by #wx), then in most cases people will get the warning that the debug buld will not be able to build because no 'debug' configuration can be found for wx.

I would suggest that in the case it is not found, and in the case such a wx debug config exist, the user is notified of the possible choices so he can pick one. Why, for many cases I assume people want a debug and release target of their project (debug fo debugging and release for optimized release build), without actually caring about a debug wx configuration. [Just like  we develop CB very often with a wx release config, but nevertheless we build a CB debug version].

I agree with you. Testing Debug version exists or not requires us to run wx-config (Yiannis suggested earlier) which will raise a Security warning and that may scare a user. That was the reason I didn't use any detection mechanism.

So when the user says he wants a debug target, present an (advanced) option to specify if he wants to use a wx debug configuration (suggestion : default ; debug/release both use the release configuration of wx), and only when the user chooses to use the wx debug configuration and it is not present throw a warning/error message.

Remember linking an app in Debug mode with a Release lib of wx is supported by GCC, only. Other compilers (Notably MSVC) will fail. IMHO, this wouldn't be a good option to offer.

My suggestion let the wizard turn off Debug/Release Target creation if it can't find appropriate lib in system and change the Warning Message accordingly.

If an user needs to create another target with different settings, then wxWidgets Target wizard will be able to do the job.

What do you think? :)

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:17:22 pm »
Remember linking an app in Debug mode with a Release lib of wx is supported by GCC, only. Other compilers (Notably MSVC) will fail. IMHO, this wouldn't be a good option to offer.

Darn.

I feel a user would want to build both debug and release of 'HIS' project, but without having a platform abstraction (wx) in debug. So GCC will do it correctly.
What will M$ compiler do --> crashes like mixing debug and release runtime of M$ ?

But is this problem as severe with wx, because whatever I created from/with wx, will be destroyed again with/by wx, right ?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:22:03 pm »
What will M$ compiler do --> crashes like mixing debug and release runtime of M$ ?

It won't link the app. User will presented with a Flood of errors.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.