Author Topic: Anonymous posting  (Read 11960 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Anonymous posting
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:36:10 pm »
Your vote please ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Urxae

• Regular
Re: Anonymous posting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 11:44:07 pm »
I'm against it. It just causes too much confusion, and registering is so little trouble (or at least it was with the last boards ;)) that I think it's worth it. Plus, that way people won't accidentally post while logged out :P.

Edit: Though I think there should be a simple "No" option between "Maybe not" and "Noooo!". "Noooo!" is a bit extreme I think. I'm sure I'm against it, but it's not like it's the end of the world or anything :shock:.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 11:49:39 pm by Urxae »

darklordsatan

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 11:50:36 pm »
I'm against it. It just causes too much confusion, and registering is so little trouble (or at least it was with the last boards ;)) that I think it's worth it. Plus, that way people won't accidentally post while logged out :P.

Agree 100% (even with the accidentally posting as guest - sometimes you delete your cokies or something and dont realize this!).
Registering is painless and that way you can start knowing people and what they want, and sometimes you even feel like a response is more appropiate that other. But when you have a "Guest" poster is like you dont know who are you talking to.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 12:16:09 am »
Edit: Though I think there should be a simple "No" option between "Maybe not" and "Noooo!". "Noooo!" is a bit extreme I think. I'm sure I'm against it, but it's not like it's the end of the world or anything :shock:.

Edited ;)

Thanks,
Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 12:28:14 am »
(isn't voting 'maybe' pretty much useless? Should have lef tit yes or no)

Anyways, why not?

You might miss out on some informative posts, or good feedback. Anyone who sticks around will make a name if they plan to post. There's not really any harm in a Guest posting a question. Besides, 'Guest' is not anymore anonymous then 'Vampyre_Dark', or 'thomas', or 'Uxrae'.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 01:52:49 am »
I suggested to disable anonymous posting for the following reasons:

1. First post!
2. In soviet russia, blocks code YOU!
3. I'm an anonymous coward, you insensitive clod!
4. the GNAA...
............................................... (insert 25 lines of garbage here) ........................................
............................................... (insert 25 lines of garbage here) ........................................
5. No, I'm the *OTHER* guest.
6. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
7. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
8. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
9. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
10. Hi I want some help with CB <-
bet you didn't find it among the
other trash posts, did you?
11. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
12. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
13. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
14. Visit my xxx website! Click here!
15. Visit my xxx website! Click here!

You don't expect the forums to remain clean after codeblocks becomes as popular as firefox, do you?

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 09:34:54 am »
i think anonymous posting should be allowed further on.

-) the few spam-posts can be deleted from the moderator(s) without any comment - nobody cares about

+) but on the other hand - many users of codeblocks had a few good ideas for enhancements
and posted them too - most of them wouldn't have done that if they were forced to create
a new account only for posting their ideas.
maybe some others would use http://bugmenot.com/ instead (as i would do ;-))

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 11:13:15 am »
I'll agree with rickg22, even though it could be delayed till Code::Blocks gain enough popularity and problems arise. It has been harmless (that or I've missed the evil ones) by now.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 12:11:35 pm »
I would like to recommend that even if anonymous posting is allowed, it should at least be temporarily disabled if and when Code::Blocks is mentioned on slashdot (or similar). GNAA etc. are not nice people. :|

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 03:04:10 pm »
Do the forums have captcha systems? You know those that say "enter the secret code: " and show a GIF. They seem to filter out the most garbage due to scripts :) In that case, I would allow anonymous posting since the greatest menace I see are spam scripts.

Offline kagerato

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • kagerato.net
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 07:28:08 pm »
I'd prefer no anonymous posting.  The reasons have already been given, but to reiterate:

1.) Discourages spam and other lamerisms.

2.) Forces everyone to have a unique name, which makes it much easier to address each other and identify the content of the boards more clearly.  (Don't you hate it when two anonymous fellows are going back and forth?)

3.) People who are too lazy to register are likely to make one post, get some kind of response, and then leave.  That hardly seems to be a great contribution to any forum.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 09:26:15 pm »
This is SO ironic!
We're discussing anonymous posting, while i couldn't promote codeblocks in other forums because they disabled anonymous posting :lol: