Author Topic: Some general questions about Code::Blocks  (Read 3425 times)

Offline ReiKo

• Single posting newcomer
Some general questions about Code::Blocks
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:56:31 am »
Hello,

I am C++ programmer and just now I did realise there is Code:Blocks IDE.

Well, to be honest I'm somewhat confused, so if you could please answer my questions I would be thankful :

1. What exactly are "nightly builds", are they are some sort of "beta" versions of Code::Blocks? I did read part about it on Wikipedia but I don't understand it fully.

2. I would ofcourse like that my Code::Blocks IDE is up to date, but I also want it to works properly and stable : Should I download latest nightly build or should I download Stable Relese of Code::Blocks ( that has been published in 2008 :( ) ?

3. Where can I download latest "nightly build"  : I was looking here http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358  but I cant say wich is the most up to date "nightly build" (btw. I use Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64) and does "nightly build" include MinGW32 compiler because I need it in bundle?

Thanks.

mariocup

Re: Some general questions about Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:06:30 am »
Hi ReiKo,

the nightly builds are not beta and stable. You can download the files from http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:18 am »
Also, nightliy build was not bundled with a MinGW, you should install one like TDM-GCC:

http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline ReiKo

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:18:24 am »
Hello,

Thanks on quick answers.

Could you recommend me : Should I install nightly build and mingw32 or should I just get stable relese of Code::Blocks bundled with MinGw and I should be just fine?

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
My suggestion:
1, Install TDM_GCC
2, unzip a nightliy build.
3, run codeblocks.exe

That's all. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
Nightly builds are snapshots of the development version on the day they are published.
On one hand this means they are the definition of "bleeding edge".
On the other hand though, C::B is around for many many years now (~7) and it's pretty stable. This fact makes nightly builds stable enough even for production (I use it for production and I also know of a lot of companies that do so too).
Now, in the unlikely event that a nightly build proves to be unstable (e.g. because of a new feature that was not tested enough), you can always use the last known-to-be-stable nightly build.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...