Author Topic: Monthly C::B Developer News Report?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Monthly C::B Developer News Report?
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:39:12 pm »
Hi Guys:

I've been thinking more and more lately that Code::Blocks development and user communities would benefit from a monthly (or bi-monthly, depending on how much effort is involved) news report. The report might include such topics as the latest features added (I know we have the nightly build announcements but sometimes people miss the forest for the trees), what each developer is currently working on, notable bugs, bug fixes and patches, contributions from non-developers (patches, documentation etc).

I know some people might think this is a frivolous waste of time that would be better spent coding/documenting code::blocks, but i think that is a short sighted view. Communication is key to any group project. At the very least, users will be less frustrated by the lack of a new release if they see documented progress and some sort of outlook for the project. The report would also serve a marketing function: look at what we're up to and what we have planned.

In terms of presentation, this could be something as simple as a locked thread on the forum with a link from the web-site and an RSS feed. alternatively, it could be set up as a blog.

Anyway, the bottom line is I would be willing to compile such a newsletter if you guys are interested and willing to tell me what you are up to before each report. Devs would have editorial before anything was published. On the other hand, if someone else wants to run it, I'd be more than happy to sit back and applaud from the stands (or help out).

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Monthly C::B Developer News Report?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:54:07 pm »
Wholeheartedly seconded. And, in order to "put my money where my mouth is", I'd be happy to copyedit and/or provide content ("Forum Thread of the Month", anyone? :P).
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:02:44 am »
That is very good idea.  Nice alternative to forcing a release.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:17:33 am »
Sounds good to me, but while English is my first Language I really can NOT write readable stuff so do NOT expect any major input from me. Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:33:05 am »
I also agree. Having a monthly dev news helps an old wolf like me (har har) to see how the new tripulation is doing while searching for the treasure, yarrr! :)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 09:22:31 am »
Nice to see you Ricks. :D

I'll post an update by this month end in the forum.

Best Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:44:22 pm »
I also agree. Having a monthly dev news helps an old wolf like me (har har) to see how the new tripulation is doing while searching for the treasure, yarrr! :)

Nice to see you here :) And I also agree that monthly report is a good idea.

I think we should delegate a reporter so we could send him monthly reports of work done by us (developers). What do you think ?

BYO

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:02:04 pm »
I think we should delegate a reporter so we could send him monthly reports of work done by us (developers). What do you think ?

This is a good idea Byo. The person can prepare proper report which will be able to highlight every part in details. :)

As I've written earlier, this month end I'll post a report based on SVN commit history. But a reporter is necessary. ;)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 03:07:22 pm »
As I've written earlier, this month end I'll post a report based on SVN commit history. But a reporter is necessary. ;)

So now I'm waiting to see the first report (as some people say, the most difficult task is to start) :)

BYO