Author Topic: IDE is slow by editing big files  (Read 5295 times)

Offline jomeggs

• Multiple posting newcomer
IDE is slow by editing big files
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:49 pm »

Hi all,

first, I really enjoy this IDE, thank you. But I have problems by working with bigger files. Bigger means, files greater than 1-2 MB of C code. These files are generated by GSOAP code generator , so I can't split them.

Opening such a file consumes more than ten seconds. Switching between files via tab-clicking consumes the same time amount. As it seems, the code is parsed every time the source window is switched. In meantime the IDE completely hangs and awakes after finishing parsing.

In situations when I have to debug this GSOAP-sources, my healthy is endangered because of drinking (coffee) and smoking to much :shock:

First I thought, the scintilla component causes this problem. But notepad2.exe in newest release, which uses scientilla too, loads very fast. Older releases of notepad2.exe are slow...

My configuration:
Codeblocks: Nightly Build rev. 3885
WINDOWS XP
PENTIUM 4, 3 GHz 2GB RAM
Code completion and other parsings are deactivated already

So here is my question:
Are you using the newest scientilla sources or an older version? If so, are updates planned in near future? And if not, are there any ideas how to speed up the IDE ? (No, my boss won't spend a gigantic piece of hardware  :D )

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: IDE is slow by editing big files
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:23:18 pm »
this latency is probably caused by the CodeCompletion.

Could you try to disable the code completion plug-in and check if these delays still occur ??

Offline jomeggs

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:53:25 pm »
Could you try to disable the code completion plug-in and check if these delays still occur ??

I disabled code completion in menue->settings->editor->completion. No approvement at this point. But disabling the plugin via menue->plugins->manage_plugins did the trick. Thank you! :D

But now... I have no code completion... (whine). Anyway, your advice was helpful, thanks again!

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:08 pm »
@Yiannis, shouldn't the parsing be done in the background ? Allowing the user to continue his/her work in the meantime.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:03:38 pm »

I disabled code completion in menue->settings->editor->completion. No approvement at this point. But disabling the plugin via menue->plugins->manage_plugins did the trick. Thank you! :D

But now... I have no code completion... (whine). Anyway, your advice was helpful, thanks again!

It's because of the parsing for functions in the currently open file. This is usually unnoticeable for normal files but for bigger files it can really slow things down.
Hmm, try this: re-enable the code-completion plugin but hide the code-completion toolbar (View->Toolbars->Codecompletion). If the toolbar is hidden, no parsing should take place.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:04:30 pm »
@Yiannis, shouldn't the parsing be done in the background ? Allowing the user to continue his/her work in the meantime.

The  parsing for functions in the file happens on the fly in the main thread. But you should know that: you 're the one who implemented the functions toolbar ;).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:14:29 pm »

The  parsing for functions in the file happens on the fly in the main thread. But you should know that: you 're the one who implemented the functions toolbar ;).
:oops:

Could we put it also in a background thread, or migth that be overkill or make things to complicated for synchronization afterwards  ?

Offline jomeggs

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:23:48 pm »

Hmm, try this: re-enable the code-completion plugin but hide the code-completion toolbar (View->Toolbars->Codecompletion). If the toolbar is hidden, no parsing should take place.

I tried it out, but the behavior is as nearly as before. For a better understanding only, why is the code parsed every time it got's the focus?