Author Topic: Wxwidgets 2.8.3 setup???  (Read 12575 times)

code2d

Wxwidgets 2.8.3 setup???
« on: April 12, 2007, 06:11:26 pm »
I am trying to setup wxwidgets. I go to new project. And then wxwidgets app. I go through the setup pages but when I get to the page global variable editor I don't now what to do.
What so you do???

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: Wxwidgets 2.8.3 setup???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:56:38 pm »
It sounds like you kept the default global-variable-based wxWidgets installation directory during the wxWidgets wizard -- the page that had the "wxWidgets' location" text field, which probably contained something like "$(#wx)". This refers to Code::Blocks' global variables feature, which lets you reference a certain location in as many places in your projects as you like, but still be able to change it easily from the Global Variable Editor. It's a good way to do it.

So now that you told the wxWidgets wizard to use the global variable #wx (or whatever it was you chose), Code::Blocks needs you to define exactly what the location for #wx is -- the place where you installed wxWidgets. The field labeled base is the only one you need to fill in, so just hit the "..." button next to it and choose the place where you installed wxWidgets. It's probably something like "C:\wxMSW-2.8.3". Then hit the Close button to dismiss the Global Variables Editor, and your project should be ready to compile!

Cheers,
JohnE / TDM
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

code2d

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:20 pm »
I am having the problem that a message box comes up that says "the matching debug configiration cannot be found in the wxwidgets directory you specified. This means that debug target of your project will not build" And the same for release???

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:15:04 pm »
Have you tried building the project? If it works, the wizard is wrong. If it doesn't work, the wizard is correct and you need to change the settings you select in it to match the version of wxWidget's you've installed.

wxWidgets is a complex API and platform that you cannot merely install and start coding with. It's a good idea for you to read the Windows installation documentation and wxWidgets introductory documentation thoroughly. Particularly, you should understand the different configurations of wxWidgets that can be built (static vs. shared, multilib vs. monolithic, ANSI vs. Unicode, debug vs. release), which particular configuration you've installed, and how the options in Code::Blocks' wxWidgets wizard relate to it.

The Code::Blocks wiki also contains some good information on installing and using wxWidgets.

-JohnE / TDM
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

code2d

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:28:24 pm »
I tried to build my project and it did not work. I went to the wiki and only found pages on installing code blocks.
I will try looking at the docs but the error seems strange.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:31:30 pm by code2d »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:50:35 pm »
Did you compile wxWidgets? If not, please compile it first.

Wizard complains if it can't find some important wx Libraries. These libraries will be created only after you compile wxWidgets source.

If you've compiled the source, then check the settings. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

code2d

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:17:52 pm »
ummm how do you compile the source???

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:36:33 pm »
It's a good idea for you to read the Windows installation documentation and wxWidgets introductory documentation thoroughly. Particularly, you should understand the different configurations of wxWidgets that can be built (static vs. shared, multilib vs. monolithic, ANSI vs. Unicode, debug vs. release), which particular configuration you've installed, and how the options in Code::Blocks' wxWidgets wizard relate to it.

The Code::Blocks wiki also contains some good information on installing and using wxWidgets.
Emphasis added for clarity.

The wxWidgets Windows installation documentation is in docs\msw\install.txt, in whatever folder you extracted wxWidgets.

A search for "compiling wxwidgets" in the Wiki turns up this page, which, though for an older version, is still almost completely relevant and accurate.

Neither of these is particularly hard to find.

code2d

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 01:22:35 am »
I did not find that page!!!! That is very strange....I checked now and there is more than one of these pages. hmmmmm thanks very much for the help. Hopefully it works.

Kaze Youkai

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:27:58 am »
I'm having the same sort of problem, except I've built wxWidgets, but the wizard insists that "the path you entered seems valid, but the wizard can't locate wxWidgets' files in it..."
I haven't moved anything, and all the stuff it generated is under <wxWidgets>\lib\gcc_dll. Any suggestions?

-Kaze

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 06:41:02 am »
I'm having the same sort of problem, except I've built wxWidgets, but the wizard insists that "the path you entered seems valid, but the wizard can't locate wxWidgets' files in it..."
I haven't moved anything, and all the stuff it generated is under <wxWidgets>\lib\gcc_dll. Any suggestions?
Make sure the "Use wxWidgets DLL" option is checked. Make sure that the "wxWidgets is built as a monolithic library" option is checked or unchecked depending on whether or not you made a monolithic build. Make sure "Enable unicode" is unchecked (or rebuild wxWidgets with UNICODE=1 if you want a Unicode build).

Kaze Youkai

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:18:43 pm »
I couldn't find those options in the wizard or under settings. Do you mind telling me where they are? >.<
Sorry, I haven't explored C::B as much as I should've....
Oh, and I AM using a Nightly Build, running under WinXP.

-Kaze

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 12:22:54 am »
I couldn't find those options in the wizard or under settings. Do you mind telling me where they are?
7th page of the wizard (8th if you count the intro page).

Kaze Youkai

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 01:27:39 am »
Yeah, the page that gives me the error is the 5th one. It asks to select where wxWidgets was unpacked.

-Kaze