Author Topic: Compile single file  (Read 25518 times)

darklordsatan

Compile single file
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 12:32:39 pm »
Well tiwag, you really have it going on there. But notice we are not talking about here in regards of a newbie specific feature, but something that could help many advanced users too.
I agree with you when you say you dont like it... well I do and I think many people do as well.

Perhaps what you say about docs.. well thats unfortunately the way most open source apps are nowadays - with a lack of documentation. Probably someone should take care of starting documenting c::b deeply... that should do it for a long-term project. And this single-file-compile should definitely worth a section in there...

Now, to follow your pace, probably a message box with a warning could be shown every time the user would try to compile an orphan file, with an option (perhaps a checkbox?) to "never show this warning again". The warning would say something relating how compiling a file without belonging to a project could take to unresolved linker errors and such, and that the user shouldnt bug the authors about this... (or RTFM , in case there was one... :) )

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Compile single file
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 01:10:29 pm »
Documentation is something that should grow, I think we should start with it as soon as possible (I will help if I can) but where do we store it? in the wiki?
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

darklordsatan

Compile single file
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 01:25:40 pm »
I was meaning more of a .chm file for instance, bundled with the installation, but I guess a first step would be to put it in the wiki (perhaps to serve as a storage server, and so people can edit typos, improve articles and stuff), and when one article is considered to be "stable", then it could be added to the main help file. The problem that might arise in this schema would probably be the formatting...

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Compile single file
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 01:28:41 pm »
it is a problem, I can't export wiki pages... (as far as I can see, perhaps an admin is able to do it?) (I opened another topic about documentation ;))
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Compile single file
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 02:30:43 pm »
Back to the topic, I just added the ability to compile a single file not belonging to a project.
It's already in CVS.
Only thing, it doesn't work with "Compile" but with "Compile current file". I think this makes it more apparent...

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

darklordsatan

Compile single file
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 02:37:35 pm »
That is great Yiannis, thanks; and yeah, the "compile current file" is more appropiate than "compile"

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Compile single file
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 05:45:43 pm »
Yay! :) Does it link the file too? Will it be in 1.0?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Compile single file
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 05:51:02 pm »
Quote from: rickg22
Yay! :) Does it link the file too? Will it be in 1.0?

Yes and yes.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Compile single file
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 06:02:45 pm »
Bah, I just tried something and it didn't work.

Code::Blocks compiles a single file without problems but if I set options in the compiler (flags, defines, ...) it won't use them.

Global compiler and linker options MUST be used when compiling a single file too.

Should I add I'm testing that with Code::Blocks HEAD? Haven't tried with VERSION_1.

I would really like to see this little bug fixed soon  :(

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: Compile single file
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:37 pm »
I don't know how that works :( The compiler plugin is like an alien beast to me. And since Yiannis is still on vacation, I need your help, guys...