Author Topic: Time to release the CVS unstable? Or perhaps RC1?  (Read 15322 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Time to release the CVS unstable? Or perhaps RC1?
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:00:14 pm »
Now that we have a branch, I think it's time we should release a stable snapshot (binary, HEAD) so people can test it and *ahem* stop submitting outdated bugs.

Boy, we didn't count on this (the increasing popularity of Code::Blocks  :lol: ) when developing.

Or maybe... Yiannis, what bugs do you consider need to be fixed before releasing RC1?

darklordsatan

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:32:15 pm »
I think on a side note, a development snapshot should be released more often, for several reasons:
1. As you say, people would stop submitting outdated bugs, but rather they'd be forced to use the "latest snapshot"
2. For lazy people (like me) who dont know cvs at all (I played with it sometime, but Im too lazy to be updating my local copy too often)
3. And some other

BTW, Do you meant a binary snapshot? Im talking more like a source one, but a binary would be fine for the testers

And this is just MHO, but a RC1 would imply the 1.0 is almost ready and only bug fixing should be done, so probably the focus should be to fix the current bugs and implement the TODOs and some "cool" requested features, then make the RC1

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:22:50 pm »
Yes, i mean binary.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:38:16 pm »
Should there be more features in the current cvs version? I don't think so. (Perhaps a few..) And yes I think we should release a RC1 or finalbeta 2 :P
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline phlox81

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • phlox81.de
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 09:02:57 pm »
Yeah, time for Release Candidate has come ;)
waiting for it now so long :]

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 09:51:12 pm »
Yes, just let us fix the "Phantom lines on closing project" bug first.

RShadow

Re: Time to release the CVS unstable? Or perhaps RC1?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 12:43:53 am »
Quote from: rickg22
Now that we have a branch, I think it's time we should release a stable snapshot (binary, HEAD) so people can test it and *ahem* stop submitting outdated bugs.

Boy, we didn't count on this (the increasing popularity of Code::Blocks  :lol: ) when developing.

Or maybe... Yiannis, what bugs do you consider need to be fixed before releasing RC1?

As far as a binary release.. sure.. but I think we should also create a nightly "snapshot" of the source code for non CVS folks.  I'm in that boat.. the only cms I've ever used is subversion.. so when I check C::B out using cvs.. I really haven't a clue whats it doing.. I have some hacked together command line that I found.. what branch it's pulling.. I dunno..   A nightly snapshot of the source code would be very beneficial.

As far as new features.. I think all new features should be moved to the new branch.. leave the current one alone.. simply put bug/security fixes in the current 1.0 branch.  This is also why I would recommend that each release cycle the dev's get together and based on their input and users request come up with a "feature list"... this way you know when all the items have been implemented.. thats version x.x and its time to branch and start working on the next version..

darklordsatan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:21:24 am »
Agree with RShadow, a nightly snapshot would be convenient; I could also checkout the cvs, but as you, I dont know what am I doing (yet).
I dont know for sure if this has to be done manually everytime, or if theres some automatic way to do it (probably not, since we'd need a daemon running all the time -where?- checking if its a determined time to create the .tgz or whatever). Notice Im talking about the fact of putting the snapshot online, not taking all the cvs files and packing them (this for sure can be done automatically, i think)

RShadow

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 03:39:15 am »
Quote from: darklordsatan
Agree with RShadow, a nightly snapshot would be convenient; I could also checkout the cvs, but as you, I dont know what am I doing (yet).
I dont know for sure if this has to be done manually everytime, or if theres some automatic way to do it (probably not, since we'd need a daemon running all the time -where?- checking if its a determined time to create the .tgz or whatever). Notice Im talking about the fact of putting the snapshot online, not taking all the cvs files and packing them (this for sure can be done automatically, i think)

As far as creating the snapshot's automaticly it depends.. I don't know if you have access to cron on sourceforge or not.. If so its a simple matter of creating a cron script to zip up the contents of the CVS tree and put the file into whatever directory you need to put stuff to be downloaded.

If we don't have access to cron at sourceforge then its a matter of somebody with access to the SF account to create a nightly script to make a checkout of cvs and post the zipped file.

This is also why I would suggest using sourceforge as the distribution point, and using another service for actual development (preferably a serivice with a subversion server).

darklordsatan

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 07:09:37 am »
Quote from: RShadow

I don't know if you have access to cron on sourceforge or not.. If so its a simple matter of creating a cron script to zip up the contents of the CVS tree and put the file into whatever directory you need to put stuff to be downloaded.

1. Do you have to ask sf staff for cron access?
2. If you had cron access, then how do you do it. You log on to your shell account, and leave the process running in the background forever?, doesnt sf gets mad for this?

RShadow

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:46:23 am »
Quote from: darklordsatan

1. Do you have to ask sf staff for cron access?
2. If you had cron access, then how do you do it. You log on to your shell account, and leave the process running in the background forever?, doesnt sf gets mad for this?

1. I have no idea

2. *If* SF allows access to the cron daemon; it is as simple as writing a little shell script to zip up the cvs tree and mv it to whatever directory it has to be in for download.  It would be really simple to create a script to zip up the tree and call it something like codeblocks-snapshot-${DATE} ...

If there is no cron access, then it can still be done pretty easy.. whoever has write access to the SF C::B site (presumably mandrav) could run the same type of shell script from his computer (or the webserver) and tell his cron daemon (or whatever windows has) to do the work... the script what just have to be modified so that it downloaded the current cvs tree from SF first.. zipped it up.. then posted it back to the SF download area.. then you just run said script say.. 45 min after midnight everday.

per_eckerdal

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 10:57:13 pm »
I have a server running all the time at home. If no one else has it (or you don't find another solution), I can (probably, I haven't used cron before :)) add this to my server.

Tho, you should note that:
1. My router is not the best ever, so I'm not always online.. :cry:
2. Even though my server has been up for quite a time now, I can't guarantee uptime..
3. I can't do it before August. (as you might know by now.. :))
/Per Eckerdal

BTW: When I submitted this post there was an error message: "Failed to send email :: PHP ::"
Dunno what it is..

EDIT:
I don't think this is a very good solution, but it's at least a last thing to do..

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 11:56:28 pm »
Quote from: per_eckerdal
I have a server running all the time at home. If no one else has it (or you don't find another solution), I can (probably, I haven't used cron before :)) add this to my server.

Thanks for the offer Per but I can do it so the files are hosted on sf.net :)
Quote from: per_eckerdal
BTW: When I submitted this post there was an error message: "Failed to send email :: PHP ::"
Dunno what it is..

Seems someone in this thread asked to be notified by mail for replies, but unfortunately our smtp server is having a problem at the moment :/

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 12:14:28 am »

It would be cool to release both. :)
HEAD branch for active testers, and stable 1_0 branch (still based on wxWidgets 2.4.2 I suppose) for users that simply wait for better stable version. I compiled CVS version of C::B a week (or so) ago, and must admit that it differs *really* a lot (in plus, of course) in comparsion to latest finalbeta 1.0.
this space is for rent

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 12:19:36 am »
This is unofficial but probably next week we 'll be releasing RC1 ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...