Author Topic: Interesting comparison  (Read 8338 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Interesting comparison
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:59:57 am »
I decided, just for fun, test the parsing time of Code Completion of my old fellow (Dev-C++) against my new lovely fellow (Code::Blocks).

Test project: CodeBlocks-wxWidgets-2.6.0 (it was a bit tricky for Dev-C++).
Settings: Follow locals and globals.

For Dev-C++ it took about 520 seconds, even though I have no idea how many files it really parsed.

For Code::Blocks it took about 40 seconds, 1164 files parsed.

Another fact is Dev-C++ was completely useless while parsing. Code::Blocks becomes really slow, but is still usable.

Add to that closing the IDE. It took Dev-C++ a few minutes to close, Code::Blocks just needed a few seconds (updating cache).

Even more, the main source of Dev-C++ crashing is the use of Code Completion.

So... congrats! You're making a really, really nice work.

P.S.: I'mn't saying Dev-C++ sucks or anything like that (I really liked it with all its bugs and it helped me a lot), I'm saying that Code::Blocks is just better and gets even more every day :)

darklordsatan

Interesting comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:00:40 am »
I think its no longer a secret (like if it had been, hehe) that Code::Blocks has surpassed Dev-cpp and is now taking a clear advantage.
What got me more into Code::Blocks was the fact mandrav was a former coder of dev-cpp and he nicely told me a little more about the "backstage"

BTW, the parser from devcpp is really "bad" and yeah, takes too long to create the code completion cache

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Interesting comparison
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 11:17:27 am »
IIRC the so called "bad" parser was also developed by Yiannis ;-)

but you are right, there is a significant improvement observable !

darklordsatan

Interesting comparison
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:40:30 am »
Quote from: tiwag

Hehe, well, I think hell ban me now :lol:
No, seriously,in any case those are past times, and now hes created what could become (if hasnt already) the new trend in opensource ides for c++

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Interesting comparison
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:59:10 am »
Quote from: tiwag

Hehe, I guess we were all young once ;)

Seriously, the parser of dev-cpp is not good at all. Unfortunately I left the project before I could make it more stable...
I guess, if I were to do it now I would do it better. One learns from bad design decisions...

On another note, it's not really fair to compare the raw speeds. Sure, the current version in C::B is much more optimized than dev-cpp's but don't forget that dev-cpp is written in delphi. It simply can't give you the raw power of C/C++ ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

darklordsatan

Interesting comparison
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 12:17:35 pm »
Quote from: mandrav
but don't forget that dev-cpp is written in delphi. It simply can't give you the raw power of C/C++ ;)

Agreed between us, but If you stated such thing in gamedev for example, everyone would kill you for starting a holly war  :wink:
But I mean, thats something of intrinsic nature, wheter you like it or not,, c/c++ IS c/c++, and one of the flaws in devcpp is that, its a c++ IDE made in another language...
I guess one tend to forget devcpp is coded in delphi.. :)