Author Topic: Time to switch?  (Read 15929 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Time to switch?
« on: July 09, 2005, 07:16:09 pm »
I was thinking: maybe it's time to officially switch to wxWidgets-2.6.1?
The code is stable and I see no reason to delay it any longer.

Also, I 've added docking windows support using wxDockIt in my local sources. It's working great :lol:

So, is it time to add all these changes in HEAD?
What do you all think?

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Profic

• Multiple posting newcomer
Time to switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 07:25:53 pm »
Wow! Look great! I think it is definitly must go to HEAD :)
Not fear, nor tears can reach me now, the light seems so clear as the night fades away (c) Tristania - Beyond The Veil

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 11:10:40 pm »
I agree that we should switch..  :cry: now I have to compile wx 2.6.1 :cry: it takes to long... I am going to get a holliday. (probably not working on anything next for weeks (and last x weeks :oops:)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

darklordsatan

Time to switch?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 11:57:42 pm »
I think thats a good idea. Code::Blocks is heavily dependent on it, so why not move to the latest stable when possible?
The docked windows look awesome, a great feature IMHO

Quote from: mispunt
I agree that we should switch..  :cry: now I have to compile wx 2.6.1 :cry: it takes to long... I am going to get a holliday. (probably not working on anything next for weeks (and last x weeks :oops:)

I didnt count the exact time, but probably it took over 1 hour to build the library (shared, non-monolithic) and the samples (with plain mingw)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 01:47:08 am »
Absolutely, great improvement :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 02:41:32 pm »
Quote from: darklordsatan
I didnt count the exact time, but probably it took over 1 hour to build the library (shared, non-monolithic) and the samples (with plain mingw)

I know, but at 11:30 pm when I want to go to bed, it is a long time :P
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline Urxae

• Regular
Time to switch?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 03:04:03 pm »
I know, but at 11:30 pm when I want to go to bed, it is a long time :P

So just go to bed, but leave the compile running. Come back in the morning and it'll (hopefully) be finished. That's how I usually perform long compiles. (For "normal" long compiles. Compiling Gentoo from source may take longer (depending on computer speed), but that's not just a long compile but a LONG compile ;))

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 04:01:36 pm »
I can't sleep with the computer running :P

btw. mandrev? when will the project switch to 2.6.1 in the cvs? and wich projectfile will there be used?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 07:54:56 pm »
Oh, the only problem I can see is the logo of the application (and @ home the problem that I could not see any open projects. When I open one, I could use my right mouse button to get the context menu..)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 08:16:57 pm »
btw. mandrev? when will the project switch to 2.6.1 in the cvs? and wich projectfile will there be used?

That's what I 'm asking here. How people feel: should we switch now?

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Time to switch?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 10:06:15 pm »
yes - why not ?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 10:28:02 pm »
Yes, we should switch. The problems I experience are probably my own problems :)

And the next release? when will that be  :P

CrayzeeIvan

Time to switch?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 10:42:22 pm »
Quote from: mandrav
That's what I 'm asking here. How people feel: should we switch now?

IMHO you should switch, it's the next logical step!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Time to switch?
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 01:12:50 am »
Yes, it is time!

I wanna have that dockable version working here with wxWidgets 2.6.1 too :)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 04:12:43 am »
Wait, what happened with Ceniza's bug reports about the toolbar crash... oh wait, you're using wxDockit, right? :P

Well some minor details with the toolbar. There's a new debug icon (step out), but it's 32x32 only, and I have my C::B set to 16x16, so it looks kinda ugly.

Also, what changes are done to the sourcecode? Are they reversible, just in case something happens? A week of tests with the wxDockit library seem too short to me. (Then again, that's only MHO ).

Finally, i've exchanged a few mails with one of the people who reported the wx2.5+ bugs - he's not available for two weeks so we can close the bugs in question.

I'd say we should keep the wxdockit as a separate branch, so the devs can still download it and test it, while keeping and working on the current branch. (Just be careful of not committing to the wrong branch :roll: )

RShadow

Time to switch?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 05:55:50 am »
quote="rickg22"].

I'd say we should keep the wxdockit as a separate branch, so the devs can still download it and test it, while keeping and working on the current branch. (Just be careful of not committing to the wrong branch :roll: )[/quote]

I agree.  I think we should start a new branch with wx2.6 as the official version of wx, and start working on adding the new features such as docking windows.  Call this the development branch .. or whatever... I think the current branch we should release as 1.0 and leave it open.  No new features should go to this branch.. just bug/security fixes and name somebody as a "maintainer" of this branch.  This leaves the rest of the developers to start work on the 2.6 branch untill it becomes stable (read: production ready).

A "feature set" should be devised.. and once those features have all been implemented, then we make a branch again.. close the wx2.4 branch and leave the wx2.6 branch as stable.. and start another "feature set"...

just my opinion.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 09:47:36 am »
Thank you all for the feedback :)
CVS has been branched and the announcement is here.

Yiannis.
Be patient!

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Time to switch?
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 10:20:14 am »
Perhaps it is a good idea to post a news item on sourceforge and the website. ;)

RShadow

Time to switch?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 10:51:40 am »
Quote from: mandrav
Thank you all for the feedback :)
CVS has been branched and the announcement is here.

Yiannis.

Thanks Yiannis.  I think this will greatly enhance Code::Blocks development.