Author Topic: Code::Blocks WebSite proposition.  (Read 20235 times)

Angelo

Code::Blocks WebSite proposition.
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:33:05 am »
Like in topic, I've made two propositions, more-pro, and less-pro.
Post your opinions above, especially devs.
How do you like it ?

and less pro (but I like it more) version:

manutd

Re: Code::Blocks WebSite proposition.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:17:26 pm »
I like the first one better. The blue is to strong, something lighter would be nice (like the forum background). I like the navigation bar, nice touch ;)
PS: Where's the forum link?

Angelo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:34:10 pm »
I've forgotten :P but it's mainly the concept...

Offline szczepan

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:09 pm »
How do you like it ?

Sorry but I don't like it. One word: contrast. I am not visually impaired but I still can't imagine browsing such a website without eyeache. White text on light blue background is hard to read, and those shadow-only captions in the "more-pro" version must be a joke, right? Even to perfect eyesight they look like grayish blobs of wadizit ;)

A menu that looks like code is a c001 idea that could work for a website of an artistic programming language or an obfuscated code contest or something like that, but do we want it for the Code::Blocks website? Do we want fans or users? I'd say users, others might disagree.

Angelo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:48:03 pm »
Relax man, it's - like I said - just a propo, concept. Title's aren't very visible I know it, what's wrong with menu code style ? I like it :P Why everything in the web should be so serious ? Users need a little "fun" I guess. But ofcoz some part of community would prefer more "pro" version without any add-ons. Just tell me what's wrong, make a vote, and I'll fix it. regards

Offline szczepan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:34 pm »
Relax man, it's - like I said - just a propo, concept.

Alpha version? ;)

what's wrong with menu code style ? I like it :P

I like it too! I think it would be perfect for a website dedicated to programming folklore.

Why everything in the web should be so serious ? Users need a little "fun" I guess.

It is not about seriousness but about where you put the fun stuff. In my opinion it is a bad idea to put the fun stuff in the main menu (unless you are designing something like Heyah.pl). The main menu is the part of a website that a user will click through repeatedly while accessing content. If the menu is "funny", well... imagine you enter a supermarket and a hostess halts you at the door to tell you a joke, then another hostess tells you the same joke when you enter an alley, and again everytime you pick something from the shelves, always the same joke. How long would it take before you go shopping elsewhere? There can always be a Fun Stuff alley page.

My vote is for better contrast and against C++ menus, but that's just my vote.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:50:42 pm by szczepan »

Offline windhawk

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:30:21 am »
Personally I like the existing website better than either of these two designs.

As the others have said, the white / blue contrast is rather bad on the eyes, and the existing one seems to me to be more stylish and professional, though some parts could probably be improved.

The menu concept is certainly quite clever, but to me it would seem a bit out of place. Maybe just a semi-colon type image at the end of the each menu link would be more subtle.

I think it would be necessary to see a far more complete version of the redesign to make a proper judgement on it. All we have here is a colour scheme really.

Angelo

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:28 pm »
Ok szczepan, I've been thinking about your opinion, and now I know - you're right. I'll prepare soon next layout, with no-cpp menus and less eye-ache effects.
What dou you exactly think about gray-menus, and green bar's ? How colors it should contain ? semi-colors? or maybe gray-white-green/blue ?(I'm not a designer / graphic)

manutd

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 01:29:21 pm »
Color scheme should keep the first design's menus, and use a color scheme something like light blue/light grey/dark blue outlines.

Angelo

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 04:08:32 pm »
Ok, I've made few fixes.
What do you think about it ?

mscava

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:11:04 pm »
Starts to look really good...
but still few comments:
1) I still don't like the 'Code::Blocks' font in the header although it's better than the previous one, but header is really nice
2) Shadows are disturbing int those caption( Menu, Lead Devs, etc)

Angelo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:39 pm »
What about it ?

manutd

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 12:25:05 am »
I like it, maybe a bolder font in the menu bar?

Angelo

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:17 pm »
So, dear devs, maybe it's time to change the layout style ?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:24 pm »
I am not joining this discussion,  but 1 little remark towards coding style. The example code which is visible is poor style since the first time the brace is intended compared to the if, and the second time it is not. Consistency rules ;-)

Angelo

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:35 pm »
Of course the poll is reffering to the latest screen.

manutd

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 01:08:59 am »
I agree with killerbot. Also, the poll needs more options. Right now, I'd give it a 7.5/10, probably = with the current design.

user_mv

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 01:36:57 am »

My two cents...

I like the concept and the design, but not the colors. I just can't get into the turquoise/robin egg blue?? of the background and when I think gray I think depression.  :(

How about using other (more lively) colors?   :)

Also, I agree with the other users that the poll does not have enough options.

Offline polygon7

• Home site
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 01:14:56 pm »
I don't like "new" layout scheme colors, too.
I think they doesn't suit to each other.

Maybe this will help you:
http://h41139.www4.hp.com/uk/en/online_tools/colour_wheel.html
best regards,
p7
 Free open source UML modeling tool: ArgoUML

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »
Just to avoid confusion and unnecessary work, we are not looking for a different website layout/theme...
When we will need someone else to redesign our site, we will post a message about it (like we have done in the past).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...