Author Topic: Modified & Improved wxWidgets Project Wizard  (Read 223434 times)

Offline raph

• Almost regular
Re: Modified & Improved wxWidgets Project Wizard
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2007, 04:35:34 pm »
Until now you didn't even know that wizards are script-driven and now you already think they 're too limited.
Well, sorry, you misunderstood me.
With limited I referred to the fact, that codeblocks (as I understood it) currently just copies the source files without letting the wizard modify the content. This makes dynamic creating of source files pretty hard.
Since cb is os and under heavy development this doesn't mean very much...
Let me tell you something: you don't even know what a script is capable of.
Are you sure? Just wonder how good you have to know me...
And until you do, please refrain from criticizing other people's work.
As I said, my intention wasn't to criticize anything (especially not cb).
I love it when someone who has no clue on how something works, has already an opinion on it...
I love it when people blame each other to have no clue, especially if they know each others as good as we.

@Biplab
What about this:
First, let the user decide what method of wx-building he used (wxpack, mingw32-make, msys).
On the next panel, put the 4 checkboxes you said and maybe add something like "auto detect" which tries do find the right configuration available. Since if you know the path to the libs and the "build method", finding out the configuration shouldn't be too hard (trial and error).

with regards
raph

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2007, 05:41:46 pm »
@Biplab
What about this:
First, let the user decide what method of wx-building he used (wxpack, mingw32-make, msys).
On the next panel, put the 4 checkboxes you said and maybe add something like "auto detect" which tries do find the right configuration available. Since if you know the path to the libs and the "build method", finding out the configuration shouldn't be too hard (trial and error).

Well I'll look into this. But please do not expect this feature to be coming up very soon.

Finding lib path is not difficult. To add 20 odd libraries with appropriate lib path will add up 30-40 lines of code (my guess) to script which will only be used for MSYS. That's why I've mentioned that the extra code will somehow become an overhead. I hope you can understand the problem.

wxPack uses makefile to compile with GCC. Thus if you add the installation path that is sufficient for the wizard.

One news, I've modified the wizard now to include Resource files and Icons in Windows. I've used standard wxWidgets Icon. Will post it after testing in Linux.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2007, 06:06:32 pm »
Let me tell you something: you don't even know what a script is capable of.
Are you sure? Just wonder how good you have to know me...
I love it when someone who has no clue on how something works, has already an opinion on it...
I love it when people blame each other to have no clue, especially if they know each others as good as we.

No raph, I do not know you. So my only knowledge on the subject comes from your post:

I didn't know that the wizards are scripted. Squirrel? Never heard of it :shock:
I just had a quick look, but I think you are right, the possibilities currently are very limited  :?
I haven't ever looked at cb's source, but I think

Anyway, I 'm just pointing out that first you should be aware of what is available to scripts and then come up with ways to improve it. You started the other way around...
And just for the record, all things that you have mentioned as "wizards' limitations", are possible for quite some time now.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »
One news, I've modified the wizard now to include Resource files and Icons in Windows. I've used standard wxWidgets Icon. Will post it after testing in Linux.
Good news 8)

Ok, forget about the msys stuff.
What do you think about an panel to let the user modify the names of the libs manually, after the "configuration could not be found" message occurred?

UPDATE
And just for the record, all things that you have entioned as "wizards' limitations", are possible for quite some time now.
So what do you suggest?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:16:28 pm by raph »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2007, 07:04:32 pm »
And just for the record, all things that you have entioned as "wizards' limitations", are possible for quite some time now.
So what do you suggest?

I don't suggest anything. I 'm here to answer questions, give guidance on how to do certain things, etc.
What I mean is my time is limited these days and I can't help with this wizard. Besides, Biplab is doing a great job from what I see. Nevertheless, I 'm available for any questions that may arise on how to implement various things in the wizard. Just form solid questions and expect solid answers.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2007, 08:49:55 pm »
Well Raph, I think I must clarify some of the points. My idea about the wizard is to make it powerful for advanced users as well as simpler to operate for all. My goal is to make C::B as the default IDE for beginners when they start learning wxWidgets in Windows/Linux/Mac. Because I feel C::B gives you the flexibility to choose different Platforms & Compilers. (I've a soft corner for faster compilers :wink:)

Thus my idea is not to stuff it with unnecessary features (Please don't get offended). Some of the features you are requesting are not feasible due to some reasons which I've already explained. One of your good, feasible suggestion has already been implemented and I'll implement other feasible ones.

What do you think about an panel to let the user modify the names of the libs manually, after the "configuration could not be found" message occurred?
Take this one. For an advanced user, if he gets the warning message saying that the configuration is not found he'll either use appropriate configuration or add the required libs in the project manually.

When a beginner will use it, if the wizard throws a page with few textboxes and asking him to fill them manually, he be in deep trouble. I know from my experience, for a beginner it is a big headache. I was jumping from one IDE to another to start learning wxWidgets as no one was good for beginners. I believe the purpose of wizard also gets defeated to some extent.

AFAIK, C::B now have feature to control the behaviour of panels in wizard more flexibly. But I've not gone through the changes and will need some more time to study that. If it is possible to add more interactivity to the wizard, I'll definitely add it.  :)

As I've written earlier, if you've any suggestions to improve C::B, please post details. C::B devs will surely listen to you.  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:52:30 pm by Biplab »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2007, 03:15:34 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I'm posting revision 7 of wxWidgets project wizard of Code::Blocks.

Changes:
  • Creation of Empty Project is now possible.
  • Wizard now generates customised header/source files. Filenames are generated on the basis of project name.
  • Wizard now accepts Author name, email and website to customise header/source files generated by the wizard.
  • Wizard now generates resource file in Windows. Default wx icon is used. XP theme support is also enabled using wx.rc file.
  • Wizard now remembers following preferences.
    • wxWidgets configuration settings
    • Author details

Screenshot showing option to create empty project in Windows

Screenshot showing option to create empty project in Linux

Screenshot showing Author Details Page

Known Issues:
  • Resource file is not customised now and available only in Windows.
  • Does not remember additional wx lib selection (Work is in progress).

Thanks To:
  • Raph for suggestions.
  • Mandrav for hints to additional scripting capability.
  • Latest revision uses modified code from Code::Blocks Plugin wizard. My sincere thanks to developer for making my task easier.  :D

Download it from:
Attachment of this post
or
http://biplab.quotaless.com/wxwidgets_wizard_Rev7.zip

Regards,

Biplab

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:20:05 pm by Biplab »

manutd

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2007, 10:20:30 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been looking for the empty project! Is it still linked in full?

manutd

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2007, 10:43:40 pm »
Ahh! Creating an empty file gives me all kinds of ugly linking errors!

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:43 am »
Ahh! Creating an empty file gives me all kinds of ugly linking errors!

Did you add the appropriate settings / libraries? I've tested it in Windows and Linux and it worked without problem.

manutd

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2007, 01:40:04 pm »
I tried. What did you use?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2007, 02:57:08 pm »
Just tested it again with MSVC 7.1 (Debug/Release-Dynamic-Ansi-Multilib) and GCC (Debug/Release-Static-Ansi-Multilib). It works smoothly.

What are the errors you are getting??

manutd

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2007, 01:48:24 am »
I don't know why, but it works now  :? I think I may have found a bug with at least empty project, if not all projects: if you select created precompiled header, it is never created and thus at build time you get an error that it does not exist. Fixes?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:11 am »
I don't know why, but it works now  :? I think I may have found a bug with at least empty project, if not all projects: if you select created precompiled header, it is never created and thus at build time you get an error that it does not exist. Fixes?

Thanks for the details. :)

I think the error is coming due to the force inclusion of {Project_Name}_pch.h file. It was kept to ensure that the pch header gets included to all the cpp files. The option is not visible to users as it is added in Project level.

PCH is only supported for GCC by Code::Blocks. Thus I've used different approach for other compilers.

Fix:
1. Rename your PCH header to {Project_Name}_pch.h,
Or
2. Open your project file and replace all instances of {Project_Name}_pch.h with the name of PCH header (e.g., wx_pch.h) you are using.

I'll try to improve this part so that it becomes painless.

Regards,

Biplab
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:49:55 am by Biplab »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:14 pm »
Hi All,

I am late to announce that Revision 7 had been merged with 30th January 2007 Nightly Release. Therefore I would request users to download the latest nightly to get the latest C::B & wx wizard together.

This thread will be kept active for discussion. Please post your suggestions to improve it in this thread. But no wizard code will be released through this thread in future.

I would like to Thank all for their support & feedback.

Regards,

Biplab