Author Topic: The road to programmers hell ...  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Guuestgulkan

• Single posting newcomer
The road to programmers hell ...
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:07:29 pm »
is littered with the corpses of (over ambitious) cross platform development tools/IDE's/libraries.. as I've found when searching the web for IDE's.
maybe M$ got it right by just sticking to windows developement rather than say try and make MSVC++
do linux as well.

Offline Belgabor

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The road to programmers hell ...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:17:56 pm »
I fail to see the point of this post.
Do you mean to say that C::B was victorious over all of them and they committed seppuku in shame?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:52:38 pm »
Smells like a Troll under this bridge.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:40:16 pm »
Why?

The OSS crowd doesn't take discussion or criticism very well. He has a valid point. You gusy get side tracked into 10,000 different things, and never got your RC3 out the door in (about)over a year now!

Note that I am a happy C::B user!  :lol:
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

~guilio

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:08:15 pm »
I believe trying to develop a cross platform IDE is a virtue. The experience is more educational and makes developers aware of other peoples needs, not just Windows users. I use Code::Blocks on both Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux and am eternally greatfull that time was taken to support other operating systems. The fact that the developers are trying to achieve this with Code::Blocks deserves some respect.

The whole point is having a familiar tool available in difference OSes. It expands the community of the project and at the end of the day, the more people involved the higher the quality becomes .For C++ Code::Blocks fits this description and that is why use it.

Regarding RC3, I think the fact that nightlys are supplied is a saving grace. But i would still be nice to see a official release :-)

Offline orefa

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:53:46 am »
RC3 may be irrelevant. I just think the nightly builds (which are "daily" at my end of the wire) should be featured more prominently than RC2 on the main page. RC2 is old. Most daily releases are stable enough and leaps ahead in features. This is what new users should see.

As for the corpses :shock: of over ambitious projects, well... I don't see any of those lying around, do you?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:15:06 pm »
You gusy get side tracked into 10,000 different things, and never got your RC3 out the door in (about)over a year now!
You may not be aware of it, but we add 3 more week to the release schedule every time someone complains that RC3 is not out, as a purely educational measure.  8)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Belgabor

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:17:53 pm »
You gusy get side tracked into 10,000 different things, and never got your RC3 out the door in (about)over a year now!
You may not be aware of it, but we add 3 more week to the release schedule every time someone complains that RC3 is not out, as a purely educational measure.  8)
Yeah, that's a lot better than giving in to the bang-own-head-against-desk/wall wishes :p

Offline Guuestgulkan

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:50:56 pm »
No No really.
It was just that searching the web for IDE type sofftware, there seemed to be a fair few
projects started and seemingly abandoned -  (lack of resources, loss of interest, overly ambitious - who knows).

Offline severach

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:25 am »
As long as they are open source they cannot be abandoned.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 12:11:18 am »
C::B just rocks *much* more than any of the projects you have mentioned... don't worry. As long as there will be serious developers there will be C::B. ;-)
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ