User forums > Help

debugging trouble

<< < (2/2)

Anonymous:
"can one debug the files, compiled by MSVC?"

I can't :( , I've been looking for an answer to this question too, I'm currently compiling in Code::Blocks then, if something goes wrong, I have to compile with vc++ 6 to debug in it

mike:
As I understand, VCToolkit does not come with a debugger. And "gdb" cannot be used for executables compiled with MSVC (I haven't tried it, it's an assumption). So I have to compile in MinGW; if something goes wrong, I use the command-line debugging (thanx for the hint!), as the C::B debugging facility does not work yet.

prr:

--- Quote from: mike ---As I understand, VCToolkit does not come with a debugger.
--- End quote ---

Free debugging tools for windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

--- Quote from: mike ---And "gdb" cannot be used for executables compiled with MSVC (I haven't tried it, it's an assumption). So I have to compile in MinGW; if something goes wrong, I use the command-line debugging (thanx for the hint!), as the C::B debugging facility does not work yet.
--- End quote ---

You can use the "Insight" (graphical frontend to gdb) included in cygwin.

walter

mike:

--- Quote ---Free debugging tools for windows[/qoute]

Thanx, I'll try this later today!
Do you know if it is supported by C::B?
--- End quote ---

prr:

--- Quote from: mike ---Do you know if it is supported by C::B?
--- End quote ---

I don't know, but in the package is also included a complete graphical debugger. You can try to call it from codeblocks tools menu with "${PROJECT_DIR}\${PROJECT_NAME}.exe" parameter. Assuming ${PROJECT_NAME} = exe name.

It would be nice to have a ${PROJECT_EXE} macro in this menu.
But since a project could have one or more exe-type targets, it's not so simple to implement. Yiannis, have you ever considered a similar feature?

walter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version