Author Topic: New User Reaction and Feedback  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
New User Reaction and Feedback
« on: June 07, 2005, 09:33:01 am »
I tried out CB in the beggining, but it had a bug that caused the editor not to appear in Win98, so I had to pass on it until now. I've got win2k now so I gave it another try, and installed it to use with VC++ Toolkit.

View settings are not saved. The program will always start up with the default look.

My Static library output file names always reset to the default gcc naming convention of libfoobar.a, and always lowercase. I can't get FooBar.lib to stay! My .exe file is being output in lowercase too!

It would be nice to be able to keep my paths as I enter them for outputs, and not turn them to those 'virtual directorys'.

Brace matching can get annoying, as it doesn't respond right to all the formatting options. It would at times just become a bold white block, and I had to keep resetting it per file! It would be nice to have the option to just turn it off.

*Pictured below. This is my bigest problem with CB right now. If I load the editor options, this will go away... but I have to do it per file everytime I open them, or just from restaring the CB.

My 'target' keeps reverting to gcc. I spent a good deal of time messing around with the editor, trying to compile, all the while I was getting vague 'command failed' error. Finally, I switched to VC++ and got it to compile. However, VC++ was my default compiler all along. This problem went away when I nuked my DevC++ install. And reinstalled CB.

Uninstalling doesn't remove the Documents and Settings folder. I had to do it manually. (See above) meant I had to reinstall the program twice! This was to fix the above problem.

Whenever double clicking on files to open them from windows, the program gives 'file not found' errors, even though they are there, and opened in the editor!

I like that you can keep multiple projects opened at once. This helps me a lot. Finding out howto control which was compiled took me a second or two, but it works perfectly!

I don't use line numbers, so being able to get rid of that ugly grey space in the editor would be nice.

It would be nice if us users could send you our editor color schemes, and have them all show up as new presets in the next release. It helps us keep them between releases, and gives others a set of choices on install.

Keep up the good work!  :lol: I plan to keep using this with VC++ TK.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 11:07:25 am »
You mention a lot of things I 've never seen. At least not all of them together...
Make sure you installed the latest version, currently 1.0-finalbeta.
This gives me a hint you have installed an older version, because it's been fixed quite some time now:
Whenever double clicking on files to open them from windows, the program gives 'file not found' errors, even though they are there, and opened in the editor!

This too:
It would be nice to be able to keep my paths as I enter them for outputs, and not turn them to those 'virtual directorys'.

I guess by "virtual directories" you mean the relative paths. In newer versions you 're asked if they should be kept as absolute or relative...

If you 're not sure, uninstall C::B confirming to clear all configuration settings, while uninstalling. Then reinstall and tell us how it goes.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 07:19:33 pm »
EEK!!!  :shock: THIS CANNOT BE!!! :shock:

*Ahem* Thank you SO MUCH for your feedback!

Since I joined the project I feared that thousands of new users would experience a series of problems (like you) that would get them frustrated and discard Code::Blocks as "buggy and not ready for the public yet" (now if only the bugs can get reproduced...) Anyway let's work so that the new users' experiences are flawless.

Thanks!

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:31 pm »
Damn, that quick reply form will be the end of me. I lost two replies in it hitting the 'post reply' button instead of submit.  :oops: So this post keeps getting shorter!

I'm using the 1.0-finalbeta release. Build: May15th 2005, and I specified to clear the config data during my first uninstall.

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 06:51:15 pm »
Where is the option to keep absolute paths? I don't see it anywhere.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:46:58 pm »
It's under Settings Menu, in environment settings (or was it editor settings?). If you can't find it, then it's in the CVS version  :mrgreen:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 08:17:46 pm »
Quote from: Vampyre_Dark

It's not an option. When you select a directory, C::B asks you how you want to keep it (relative/absolute).

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:45:34 pm »
Quote from: mandrav
Quote from: Vampyre_Dark

It's not an option. When you select a directory, C::B asks you how you want to keep it (relative/absolute).

Yiannis.

I've been typing them in. I see it now on the obj output, but not for the exe. That's not a problem though. And I can rename the .exe to the correct capatalization before distribution, so it's fine.

I fixed the problem with the brace mathing I think. The blocks came from resetting the background white... even though it's marked as "Default" it wasn't taking on the color that was set as default.. so I set it manually. It works correctly now... but only on the file that is currently opened. It doesn't persist across sessions, or across viewing different files withing that session.

So my biggest usability problem is gone.  :D