Author Topic: Two very small requests  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Darragh

• Single posting newcomer
    • http://www.darraghcoy.com
Two very small requests
« on: October 07, 2006, 03:49:39 pm »
Hello everybody! I'm a second year student doing a games development course in IT-Carlow and I've just begun using the CodeBlocks IDE and I can't say how impressed I am with it. I've used many IDE's thus far: Visual Sudio, DevC++, Borland C++ Builder 6, JCreator , Borland J Builder and so forth but CodeBlocks takes the biscuit for ease of use / simplicity, speed, and for its excellent feature set and plugins. Even little things like being able to wrap up blocks of code and right click on header files and open them automatically rather than browsing manually for them make the world of difference in terms of usability and productivity. I was using DevC++ (the current beta version) up until recently as my IDE of choice, but the amount of bugs and the poor integration with the debugger have really begun to put me off it. I know its only a beta and perhaps its not entirely fair to be criticising it because of that, but still its kinda offputting when the IDE crashes every time you double click on a project file to launch it..

Anyhow I intend to get computer services in the college to install the IDE so everyone can have access to it. I just have two small things to ask for which would be nice to see in the next build:

(1) - Create a windows definition for the .cbp files and have codeblocks launch automatically when you double click on them. I know you can set up this manually and all but it would be nice if it was done automatically.
(2) - A few more pre-defined themes in the editor color options would be nice so the user can quickly switch to a color scheme of their choice.

Thats all really... The main reason I ask for these things is because settings tend to get wiped from college machines so setting them up manually each time is kinda pointless, not because I'm lazy now!  :)

Keep up the good work with the IDE anyways! I'm looking forward to seeing the next version. Happy coding!  :wink:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Two very small requests
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 03:56:44 pm »
(1) - Create a windows definition for the .cbp files and have codeblocks launch automatically when you double click on them. I know you can set up this manually and all but it would be nice if it was done automatically.

It is done automatically by the installer. But nightly builds don't have an installer and I see your point :).
But I guess you haven't seen "Settings->Environment->General settings->Manage (associations)" ?

(2) - A few more pre-defined themes in the editor color options would be nice so the user can quickly switch to a color scheme of their choice.

Thats all really... The main reason I ask for these things is because settings tend to get wiped from college machines so setting them up manually each time is kinda pointless, not because I'm lazy now!

Configure one machine the way you want it and then store the resulting default.conf file in a safe place. Every setting is stored in that file so, whenever you need to restore the settings, just copy it over using the copy you have kept safe.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:12:35 pm »

It is done automatically by the installer. But nightly builds don't have an installer and I see your point :).
But I guess you haven't seen "Settings->Environment->General settings->Manage (associations)" ?
Plus... Code::Blocks indeed does that automatically, too.
By default, the first thing you get after running Code::Blocks is "Do you want me to set your associations...?" and you can choose yes or no, or whether you want to be asked again.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Darragh

• Single posting newcomer
    • http://www.darraghcoy.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:27:21 pm »
Ah.. I see!

Thanks for the help. Yeah the first time I installed the IDE and launched it clicked 'no' to the question asking me to associate it with .cpp files- I wasn't aware this applied to the .cbp files too.. As a result codeBlocks project files were not defined with windows so I had to do it manually myself.

Ah thats good though, I can easily swap settings across machines now too. Nice..

Sorry for asking dumb questions, I've only really started to use the IDE so I have yet to become familiar with all its features. Thanks anyhow!