Author Topic: The 19 september 2006 build is out.  (Read 24764 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 19 september 2006 build is out.
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:40:28 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 19 September 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060919_rev2982_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060919_rev2982_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060919_rev2982_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• [ Patch #1499 ] : To do list can cope now with doxygen style to do's
  • Code snippets:
    * Replaced Clear button with a control button
    * Added options for searching: case sensitivity and type
    * Removed extra padding around the tree control

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 07:40:24 am by killerbot »

Visitor

Re: The 19 september 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:40:31 pm »
I'm a new user of CodeBlocks (switching from Dev-C++) and for the past couple days I've been using the nighly builds of CodeBlocks (Including this build) to reorganize my code.

I've found a few quirks that may not technically be bugs, but are close enough that end users might consider them as such.

I was going to add some typecasts to a bunch of constants I have, so I was doing a search and replace to change ) to )) and then I was going to add the typecast to the front using S&R as well.

Rather than doing a big 'select' block and change them all at once, I was doing them one at a time by pressing the 'y' key or clicking on the 'yes' button on the message box.

While doing this, I noticed that if I pressed the 'y' key too quickly (to replace the match and go on to the next), I could some times get multiple replacements at a single spot.  So instead of having )) I might have )))

Also, while retrying this experiment, I noticed several times that CodeBlocks would delete sections of my code.  Not replacing stuff, but just deleting it.  (I checked by saving the file and opening it with another editor.  The code was gone, so it's not a display problem.)

I did this last experiment about 5 times and could do it consistantly.  All I had to do was click my mouse button just an instant before the menu poped up again (while it was still doing the current replace) and a section of text would select and then when the menu popped up, the accidently selected code would disappear.

I know, I know... don't click before the menu pops up.  But when you are in a hurry to change 100+ things through out the code, it happens.

These may not be genuine bugs.  The program may be operating as intended, but a user having code unexpectedly deleted during a search & replace isn't going to look at it that way.  We're going to look at it as a bug.

(Oh, and I'm doing this on an older P3-800 system.  So it's just slow enough that the replace isn't happening 'instantly', hence there's enough time for me to click in between.  On a faster modern system, the replace probably happens so fast that you developers wouldn't really have a chance to do this, without some really bad luck timing.)

Also, I don't know where to post this, but could you add a tiny feature...  In the project pane, could it be possible to right-click on a section (source, header, sub-dir) to add a new file, instead of having to go through the menu options?  Since the project tree has the sub-dirs, you could right click on it and just enter the filename and have it automatically created and placed in the right spot.  That would be a bit more convenient during early development.  You can add existing files that way, so it seems to make sense to be able to create new files that way too.

Of course, I know you are approaching 'feature freeze', so I certainly don't want to be responsible for a delay.

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
    • http://ajonsson.kapsi.fi/
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:52:26 pm »
There seems to be something weird going on with the menus.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Code::Blocks and some random file.
2. Right click on the editor and note the menu sizes
3. Click File menu and click it again.
4. Right click on the editor again, the menu size is different.

This has something to do with menu images because if you click on e.g. Tools menu on step 3 the result is as expected.

It's most likely a wxWidgets problem, I'll try to report it to them after I get a test case done.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:05:34 pm by artoj »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:47:13 pm »

Steps to reproduce:

This has something to do with menu images because if you click on e.g. Tools menu on step 3 the result is as expected.

It's most likely a wxWidgets problem, I'll try to report it to them after I get a test case done.

I dont seem to have (or understand) the problem (winXP). The editor context menu resizes itself according to it's inserted or removed items.

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:08:42 pm »

Steps to reproduce:

I can reproduce, it's subtle for sure, and it haves to do with menu images for sure too.

Also, regarding menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263) I want to note that this doesn't happens only in Windows, but on other platforms and other wxWidgets programs also.

The correct solution could come from wxWidgets, but in the meantime, transparent icons should suffice.

Offline Belgabor

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 11:55:45 pm »
Hi guys,

I also switched from Dev-C++ (actually wxDev-C++) recently. Although it took me some time to set things up (doing static builds with wx-2.7) now everything runs to my satisfaction :D

I noticed some bugs with splitted windows though, the second (splitted of) view seems to be the step-child :)
  • If I click on the left margin (to fold, set breakpoints) the event is processed in the first view (vertical split: something else folds there, horizontal split: the click scrolls the first view up and down, it seems to 'hit' the scroll bar).
  • All the navigational features (Symbol list, function dropdown) of CB only act on the first view, not the one that has the focus as I expect.
The second might be considiered a missing feature, but the first is certainly a bug.

PS: Using CB on windows, this nightly.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:07:38 am »
Hi guys,

I also switched from Dev-C++ (actually wxDev-C++) recently. Although it took me some time to set things up (doing static builds with wx-2.7) now everything runs to my satisfaction :D

I noticed some bugs with splitted windows though, the second (splitted of) view seems to be the step-child :)
  • If I click on the left margin (to fold, set breakpoints) the event is processed in the first view (vertical split: something else folds there, horizontal split: the click scrolls the first view up and down, it seems to 'hit' the scroll bar).
  • All the navigational features (Symbol list, function dropdown) of CB only act on the first view, not the one that has the focus as I expect.
The second might be considiered a missing feature, but the first is certainly a bug.

PS: Using CB on windows, this nightly.

Item 1 is also true of "search in files " results. Event if the second window has the focus, clicked items show in the non-focused window.

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:15:37 am »
The editor menu wasn't maybe a very good example, if we look at the menu of Code snippets you can see effects clearly.

Before (normal):

After:

The "corruption" seems like it's missing the menu images (which don't even exist) so it won't even show the scope menu's check mark.

I'm fairly sure that this issue is because of XRC loaded menus in the main application.

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:07:49 am »
One of the roots of the problem "why the menus look like this" can be seen in these screen shots I took while testing C::B on Vista.

First image showing the Project menu, the menu has no images:

Image 1

Second image showing the Build menu, the menu has images:

Image 2

As you can see, the first menu is drawn with native style the second is not. And why it isn't drawn with native style? It's because Windows doesn't support menu images natively through WinAPI. If you look some of the applications that come with Windows like Notepad, Wordpad, Paint, none of these have menu images in them. So in order to have menu images they have to be hacked or a rewritten menu control has to be introduced. wxWidgets currently uses the hack approach and the results are what they are.

By they way, in the background you can see that all the toolbar images work as intended. At least MS managed to do one thing right in Vista.

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 11:21:02 am »
one stupid question how to activate Code Snippets plugin :)
from where i can activate the panel like Symbol Browser

:D
i activated it by my self

just switch my translation to the default
because there are missing string in the POT file that Yiannis Mandravellos is put on https://launchpad.net/products/codeblocks/

Sorry for my bad english
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 11:55:47 am by Milen Simeonov »

Phoenix

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 12:48:31 pm »
It seams that there is a problem with correct alignment of code completion pop-up window. If you are typing at the right hand side of the screen pop-up window is going off-screen and you can't see what is inside. I know that there was such behaviour in very older release. I could have fix it by turning on "Enhanced multi-monitor dialog placement", but right now it doesn't help.

Using:
Windows XP sp2 classic look
C::B this nightly

Link to previous solution (doesn't work in this release):
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3182.0

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 12:59:25 pm »
I was going to add some typecasts to a bunch of constants I have, so I was doing a search and replace to change ) to )) and then I was going to add the typecast to the front using S&R as well.

Rather than doing a big 'select' block and change them all at once, I was doing them one at a time by pressing the 'y' key or clicking on the 'yes' button on the message box.

While doing this, I noticed that if I pressed the 'y' key too quickly (to replace the match and go on to the next), I could some times get multiple replacements at a single spot.  So instead of having )) I might have )))

I can't reproduce this. I tried pressing Y and clicking Yes as fast I could but I only got one replace. However if I held Y down all the time I could get extra "y" before the replaced text.

Also, while retrying this experiment, I noticed several times that CodeBlocks would delete sections of my code.  Not replacing stuff, but just deleting it.  (I checked by saving the file and opening it with another editor.  The code was gone, so it's not a display problem.)

I did this last experiment about 5 times and could do it consistantly.  All I had to do was click my mouse button just an instant before the menu poped up again (while it was still doing the current replace) and a section of text would select and then when the menu popped up, the accidently selected code would disappear.

I'm seeing this too. If I click the editor all the with my mouse and hit the Y key to replace I could remove parts of my code. It's a bug but in my normal workflow I wouldn't encounter it.

(Oh, and I'm doing this on an older P3-800 system.  So it's just slow enough that the replace isn't happening 'instantly', hence there's enough time for me to click in between.  On a faster modern system, the replace probably happens so fast that you developers wouldn't really have a chance to do this, without some really bad luck timing.)

On my system (AMD64 3200+) it's possible to click between the dialog popup but you have to know exactly when to click.

I've old Celeron 733mhz system lying somewhere, I'll test how the replace is handled on that system.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:05:11 pm by artoj »

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 01:00:46 pm »
Double post.

Offline Schlumie

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 01:01:37 pm »
Hi... I use CB with an ARC embedded compiler and it works great!
But one thing doesnt seem to work for me. When i define a union it doesnt come up in the codecompletition symbol window.
e.g.:
union YYY
   {
   int a;
   };
Doesnt show up.... is this right ?
PS: Sorry for doublepost... but TAB+{ is "clicking" the save button..  :-)

Offline artoj

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:06:17 pm »
Hi... I use CB with an ARC embedded compiler and it works great!
But one thing doesnt seem to work for me. When i define a union it doesnt come up in the codecompletition symbol window.
e.g.:
union YYY
   {
   int a;
   };
Doesnt show up.... is this right ?

As far as I know, unions are not currently supported.