Author Topic: Heap size  (Read 14496 times)

lev9596

Heap size
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:32:18 pm »
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a way to change the heap size in CodeBlocks, i have searched all through the program and have not been able to find it....Also i would like to know if there is a default size for the heap and what it is.  If i could get help with this it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Jedon

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
Re: Heap size
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:46:08 pm »
Are you talking about the actual heap used by C::B, or the heap that your program (I assume you are compiling a program) will be using?

If for your program, that would probably be a command-line option for whatever compiler you are using.

-- ron --

lev9596

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:57:48 pm »
I am talking about the Heap of the program i am compiling, becuase every time i run a program in CodeBlocks that has a 2 dimensional array, i get a windows error the needs to be debugged or sent to microsoft.  I also get this same problem in Visual Studio 6...and i just wondered if there was a way to change the heap size like the is in visual studio. Also what would be the syntax for a command-line option??
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:00:49 pm by lev9596 »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:05:09 pm »
When using GCC/MinGW, add the --heap switch to the linker's options. This switch has two variations:
1. --heap reserve
2. --heap reserve,commit

Consult man ld for more information. A similar option probably exists for every compiler (including the Microsoft one). If nothing helps, you can edit the PE header using a simple hex editor, or more comfortably using a tool like PEResourceExplorer. The stack size can be found in the optional header at location 0x4a.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

lev9596

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:31:49 pm »
Still having problems getting this to work.  I am a relatively new user to this program and programming in C++.  I feel really dumb...has anyone else had a problem with this b4 or is it just me??

mdelfede

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:04:34 pm »
Still having problems getting this to work.  I am a relatively new user to this program and programming in C++.  I feel really dumb...has anyone else had a problem with this b4 or is it just me??

I think that's more a general programming question than a C::B one.
BTW, I think you're allocating a very (too ?) big static array. Maybe looking at your code snippet would help....
Anyway, that's not a good programming practice to allocate a similar array; much better work with dynamic data, allocating just what you need.

Ciao

Max

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:08:19 pm »
Right, but since he is addressing a 2D array, it is not quite so simple, he'll have to use an array of pointers to dynamically allocated memory or something (or calculate the row offset by hand).

I am not sure if that's the easiest thing for a beginner to do...
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline rcoll

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:41:34 pm »
Right, but since he is addressing a 2D array, it is not quite so simple, he'll have to use an array of pointers to dynamically allocated memory or something (or calculate the row offset by hand).

It is not the easiest thing for a beginner, but it is still standard practice.  Like the rest of us that have learned C, he'll just have to jump in and take the time to figure it out.

Jedon -- how big is this array we're talking about?  If it is really huge, and the code is complicated, we'll move this to a regular programming forum and help you through it.

-- ron --

mdelfede

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 06:02:06 am »

Not the easiest, but the only 'good' way. On my 'first' programming days I made some structural analysis software, beginning with staticalli allocated matrices, and it was a nightmare :-)
Then, having only C and not C++, I resorted to an 1-dimension dynamic array, simulating a 2 dimension array; the index calculation is quite simple.
The simplest (and more reliable way) now is to write some C++ array class, or to get a ready to use one somewhere.
It would also be a good programming practice for a 'not-absolute-beginner'.

Ciao

Max

lev9596

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:59:23 pm »
Actually the array i need to create needs to store the number of permutations 1 through 9 contains.  so there are a 9 factorial possibilities i need to store.  Maybe im just going about it wrong. but this is my code so far.

#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main() {
    int numArray[] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9};
    int *mainArray = new int[362880*9];
    int a = 1;

for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){
        mainArray[0*i] = numArray;
    }
    while(next_permutation(numArray, numArray+9)) {
        for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++) {
            mainArray[a*i] = numArray;
            a++;
        }
        }
    for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){
    cout << "First " << mainArray[0*i] << endl;
    cout << "Ten Thousandth: " << mainArray[10000*i] << endl;
    cout << "Last " << mainArray[362880*i] << endl;
    }
    delete mainArray;
}

This code is what is giving me crashing problems... and i have no clue why.

Offline Frank3000

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 09:19:51 pm »
    while(next_permutation(numArray, numArray+9)) {

Hi,
the pointer to the last element of numArray is numArray + 8 !
Greetings,
Frank
Klingon multitasking systems do not support 'time-sharing'. When a Klingon program wants to run,
it challenges the scheduler in hand-to-hand combat and owns the machine.