Author Topic: Code::Blocks vs. Visual Studio  (Read 53758 times)

bigbug

Re: Code::Blocks vs. Visual Studio
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 11:32:03 am »
I use these dialogs in everydays work and I don't see anything "sucking".
e. g. they suck focus i. e. they're modal, so you cannot copy and paste code into them without closing them. Also I didn't find out, how to do a non-greedy search with regular-expressions. Normally (in Perl) the questionmark makes the quantifiers non-greedy. In the VS-Search you can use regex-patterns, but some tokens are different (than in Perl). For example to find everything from the first i to the first (non-greedy) t in a line, you say i.@t instead of (in Perl) i.*?t The wxWidgets-Documentation says, to make a quantifier non-greedy, you have to use (like in Perl) the questionmark, but it doesn't seem to work in C::B.

marfig

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 01:35:34 pm »
I don't think it's fair for C::B to compare it with VS2005. Even if the opinion is that C::B is better.

I personally don't think C::B is better. I think it has the potential to become better because it is a community effort. It already does some things better than VS 2005. But it lacks on many others.

I don't think we can honestly say C::B is better than VS2005. And that will not diminish C::B in any way. C::B is not a finished product, has not been developed with a multi-million dollar budget, and has no hurry to go anywhere.

However, it can go far. Much further than what single compiler products like VS2005 can go.

ikk

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
Also I didn't find out, how to do a non-greedy search with regular-expressions.
for me even brackets doesnt work in regex-es.
for example simple pattern "a" works and "a{1,1}" doesnt, they both mean the same.
its a pity, regexes are cool. maybe in next version  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:22:35 pm by ikk »

Offline JFalcon

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 06:57:18 am »
I don't think it's fair for C::B to compare it with VS2005. Even if the opinion is that C::B is better.

I personally don't think C::B is better. I think it has the potential to become better because it is a community effort. It already does some things better than VS 2005. But it lacks on many others.

I don't think we can honestly say C::B is better than VS2005. And that will not diminish C::B in any way. C::B is not a finished product, has not been developed with a multi-million dollar budget, and has no hurry to go anywhere.

However, it can go far. Much further than what single compiler products like VS2005 can go.

Some time ago, I wanted to use Visual Studio 6.0 as my "multi-compiler" platform.  The idea was to replace one of the compiler DLLs with a 'shim' that would instead launch other compilers.  The problem was then dealing with the linker phase of the project.  It seems that in love and war, compilers are the love and it comes to war with the linkers.  The loaders are even more stringent, but that's another story. :)

Anyhow, if you want to see my old shim code, I found it on Krugle: http://www.krugle.com/files/cvs/cvs.sourceforge.net/moin/cpp-wiki/data/text/VisualStudioCompilerShim

Code::Blocks is one excellent IDE that wraps up the same sentiment I wanted at one time, only with their own IDE. :)

Regards,

Falcon

Offline Phatency

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 10:27:05 am »
Something that C::B really sucks at is the Find/Replace dialog. I really wonder why the devs don't want to improve it.

I didn't really see how VS was so powerful with their find/replace, but maybe I didn't use it enough.

And I also don't see what is so bad about the C::B find/replace.  AFAIK, VS doesn't support regex patterns :D

I think the problem is that Codeblocks doesn't leave the find-dialog open after searching. Some people are just used to that. I myself prefer it this way.

Offline severach

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2006, 05:37:20 am »
There are quite a lot of things that VS does better and one is the way it handles projects/solutions.

Solutions yes, projects no. The way that VS handles projects where all the settings are separate is extremely defective. The way Code::Blocks does it with one master and any number of modifiers is far superior.

CB needs multi-compiler projects, something you'll never see in VS.

As for debuggers, they all suck compared to the Pelles-C debugger.