Author Topic: About wxSmith development  (Read 93959 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
About wxSmith development
« on: August 06, 2006, 11:39:26 am »
Byo (for those of you who don't know him, he 's the wxSmith author) will be stopping development on the old wxSmith code. He will focus instead on the new wxSmith he 's been preparing.

What this means is that we won't see wxSmith updates for a while, until the new wxSmith code gets stable.

According to byo (but my own experience with wxSmith too), wxSmith for windows is in a stable state. Meaning there are some bugs, but it's mostly stable for working with.
The linux version is not stable. It can crash out of nowhere and has known bugs.

So, instead of working on old code (that's hard to maintain), byo will be working on the new code which, according to him, is a pleasure to work with.

Please be patient for the time needed until the new wxSmith is released.

For the Code::Blocks Team,
Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline L_O_J

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: About wxSmith development
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:10:30 pm »
Yay, hopefully the new wxSmith will be better (something like DialogBlocks maybe  :D, J/K)

Offline Bonanza

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:17:33 pm »
Hi folks,

I have a small question about new and old wxSmith. I have already looked around this forum for an answer, but maybe it is easier to ask here.

Which of the two wxSmiths are in the nightly build?

When was/will the switch to new wxSmith be made?

TIA

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:49:10 pm »
the old one is in the nightly build.

Offline Bonanza

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:16:08 pm »
So I need to compile Code:Blocks myself for trying out the new wxSmith?

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:19:28 pm »
that's right. The moment byo feels like it's getting stable enough we'll put it in the nightlies.

Offline Bonanza

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:21:01 pm »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 11:51:40 pm »
I've been unavailable for few weeks (something really not related to computers ;)), it's nice to see C::B community again :D
I hope you will forgive all unanswered messages and all problems with wxSmith during my absence. And I hope you will understand my decision to develop new version only. Old version may be really unstable since I've fixed some bugs in rush without deeper investigation (it may be even better to revert to some ealier revision). But it's currently the only choice for developers using wxSmith, new ver. isn't good enough yet.

I'll try to get back to work as fast as possible 8) but since I've finished studies I won't have as much time as before :(. And there's lot of work to do, especially when dealing with incompatibilities between different platforms (just try to paint over widget or group of widgets, it's really a nightmare, if it works on win, it doesn't on linux and if it works on linux it doesn't on win...  :|  I don't want to try Mac ;) ). Huh, maybe I should stop talking (typing) ans focus on things which need to be done ;) Hello world again :D

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:38:42 pm »
Byo (for those of you who don't know him, he 's the wxSmith author) will be stopping development on the old wxSmith code. He will focus instead on the new wxSmith he 's been preparing.

Hello,

IMHO this is a good choice :). Therfore, Byo can concentrate all his resources on the new wxSmith instead of sharing them between the old and the new one.

Best wishes,
Michael

GuZ4217

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:27:16 pm »
And there's lot of work to do, especially when dealing with incompatibilities between different platforms (just try to paint over widget or group of widgets, it's really a nightmare, if it works on win, it doesn't on linux and if it works on linux it doesn't on win...  Neutral  I don't want to try Mac Wink)

I just started using Code::Blocks and wxsmith in a new project and both work fine and smooth under windows. Now I just read this little centense and am a littlebit frightened :shock:. As i don't like to fall into panic i just want to ask:
This means wxsmith Project generated files should not be crossed over Platforms, right?

I just ask before i do more work under windows and suddenly notice that I fall into that little nightmare :evil:

PS.: great IDE and tool anyway      8)

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:37:54 pm »
This means wxsmith Project generated files should not be crossed over Platforms, right?
No, that means that the old wxSmith linux version is extremely unstable, but if you don't touch anything you'll probably can compile successfully.  :)
I also hope that code generated by old wxSmith will work ok in the new version.

GuZ4217

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 12:08:34 am »
Thanks, thats a relief ... somehow :?

So I will continue GUI-ing under windows and port after completition of that part.

Offline Bonanza

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 09:20:48 pm »
I tried to build the "new wxsmith" myself. I am using the \src\plugins\contrib\wxSmith\new\wxsmith.cbp project.

I got an error:
Code: dos
:: === wxSmith, wxSmith ===
wxsmith.h:104: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ';' token
:: === Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===

wxsmith.h contains following (macro i guess) at line 104:
CB_DECLARE_PLUGIN();

I tried to scan source files of codeblocks but could not find this identifier.

I am using revision 3116.

Does anyone know why this error occur?
Am I using the right project to build "new wxsmith"?
Can anyone point me to a revision that builds without error?

I know I am supposed to let wxsmith developers work undisturbed but I would very much like to build this or at least to try it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 10:52:02 pm »
I tried to build the "new wxsmith" myself. I am using the \src\plugins\contrib\wxSmith\new\wxsmith.cbp project.
This version is out-dated. A branch has been created for the new wxSmith making this folder deprecated. Point your favorite Subversion client appropriate. This old "new" wxSmith uses the old plugin interface which is not compatible with the new (revamped) one from the (SVN) SDK.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 10:52:34 pm »
This version is out-dated. A branch has been created for the new wxSmith making this folder deprecated. Point your favorite Subversion client appropriate. This old "new" wxSmith uses the old plugin interface which is not compatible with the new (revamped) one from the C::B (SVN) SDK.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ