Author Topic: How do I get recursively adding files to work?  (Read 13528 times)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: How do I get recursively adding files to work?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 11:26:42 am »
In general I don't consider good (but handy when time is scarce, altrough it doesn't pays in the end) hard-coding these kind of values (paths, filenames, wildcards, etc) as they change a lot in a lot of different systems.
Yes, but we know that you want everything configurable and changeable, even if it makes no sense at all. This is another good example of why you get to hear "No, Takeshi" so often (apart from the fact that we have paid very dearly every time we followed one of your requests or ideas).
Why can't you just for once accept it if you are told that something is intentional and that something is like this because of some reason?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 12:13:13 pm »
Why can't you just for once accept it if you are told that something is intentional and that something is like this because of some reason?
I can accept it (and I'm doing it) because I think this is only a thing like what's two lines below
Code
// ask the user which files to add
// TODO (mandrav#1#): Make these masks configurable

Yes, but we know that you want everything configurable and changeable, even if it makes no sense at all.
Yes, in reality the point we don't agree is not the "configurable and changeable", but the part about "if it makes sense".
What makes sense for ones doesn't for others (ask Alex, which lost perhaps some time finding the issue, and if Yiannis wouldn't told that, he may would never know). I don't think everything in the IDE has to fit everybody, that's why it's modular, but for the SDK part, yes, IMHO it should have the less things possible hard-coded (and for file extensions/paths, there exist some enums for them).

You are right, that in this case (we're talking about a very little feature "called usability by the comments"), it does not make a lot of sense to touch anything further, because it involves time (which is scarse), but not because it is inherently bad to touch it.
(I see this as an another TODO like the one two lines below).

Remember "_svn" in autorevision? Well, it's missing here too. (It's about moduladirity)
The only difference is that here this a little feature, not something crucial (like autorevision), so not much people would mind.

But, and as a whole, I don't really care for this (if I talk for myself, because if I would be Alex the situation would change), I'm only trying to remember that there exist code in the SDK which needs
1) Resolve some TODOs like "Make these masks configurable"
but (most importantly):
2) Add some TODOs to the code, which are hard to see (this case), and may need some discussion before implementing it.

This is of what I'm convinced, but I don't want to make loose more time for any of you on this (since I'm more worried about the big picture rather than a little issue which is a feature and not a bug anyways).
Since obviously anybody can't provide patches if there's no agreement for this (neither change the functionality trough a plugin), we should move on and end this topic.

Note that I'm not angry at all and I understand all choices being made, but I just see that there's too much things left to modularize in the SDK (and the compiler plugin and codecompletion...) so I'm looking after a positive response (either "fixed in svn", or "marked as a todo" or "yes, that's right, you can provide a patch for this").

Particularly I'm more concerned regarding modularity and generalization for languages other than C/C++ in the SDK (not plugins yet).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:16:43 pm by Takeshi Miya »

Offline kidmosey

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • MUSITU International
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 07:33:25 am »
I haven't checked, but would it be too difficult to implement keeping the SCM files in the list and just unselecting them, or even putting a small checkbox in the multiple selection dialog to "show hidden files" to let you see what was deleted?

This at least makes it clear to the user that there are some files that are being left out of the search (I assumed all files were included).
3 years until google knows more than god.

tzonkov

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:29 pm »
I agree that some kind of warning or indication that a ton of files were excluded because they were all under a well known SVN/CVS directory would help new users in the future. I did spend quite a bit of time trying to figure this out, and I was close to dropping this IDE because this is a feature which was importnat to me.

With all that said, I understand this is an open source project and development time is a commodity. I am just glad that people who are intimate with the code read the help section of the forums. Also since this thread is now part of the forums, I hope future new users who might hit the same issue will be able to find a resolution quickly by searching the forums.

Thanks again for the help.