Author Topic: Linker problems?  (Read 4901 times)

Dan Barns

Linker problems?
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:47:37 am »
I'm coding a program with 3 implementation files and a header and driver file. I want to run the program for testing purposes. I get no erros when I build and they compile fine into .o files. But Code::Blocks never creates an .exe file. How can I create the .exe file?

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Re: Linker problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:21:32 am »
The only answers you can get liked this are about a hundred more questions. You haven't really told us anything to help you.

1) compiler
2) files
3) type of project
4) any relevant information

Are you compiling a static library, or a dll? That won't get you an .exe
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

Dan Barns

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:48 pm »
I'm only new to C++. Sorry if I'm a bit ignorant. I have 1 .hpp and 4 .cpp's. The .cpp's compile into .o files, but won't compile into an .exe. I'm using the compiler that comes with the latest release of Code::Blocks (installed two days ago). I had Code::Blocks on another computer and it compiled into .exe files no problem. I'm only using this computer as the other is in the shop. As for the type of project, I'm trying my hand at writing a text-based RPG.

System:

Windows XP Home w/ SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200

If you need any other info, let me know.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:34:42 pm »
I'm only new to C++. Sorry if I'm a bit ignorant. I have 1 .hpp and 4 .cpp's. The .cpp's compile into .o files, but won't compile into an .exe. I'm using the compiler that comes with the latest release of Code::Blocks (installed two days ago). I had Code::Blocks on another computer and it compiled into .exe files no problem. I'm only using this computer as the other is in the shop. As for the type of project, I'm trying my hand at writing a text-based RPG.

System:

Windows XP Home w/ SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200

Hello,

If you are using C::B RC2, then give a try to a nightly build. Anyway, RC3 will come out shortly :).

And also I would suggest you to install MinGW separately from C::B (just an advice :)).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:50:12 am »
Definitely.
  • Have you created a project and placed your files in it?
  • Is the default target's output type set to Console Application? (Project properties -> Targets)
  • Are you using the blue gear "Build" command to build your project?
  • What is the output in the Build Log tab after you've built your project, once you've enabled Full command line logging? (Settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Other -> Compiler logging)
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)