Author Topic: [Suggestion] Change C::B GUI to QT  (Read 8409 times)

lfm

[Suggestion] Change C::B GUI to QT
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:29:40 pm »
I think that the QT is better than wxWidgets. QT have business company supports, also have a OpenSource version; cross platform; and have a RAD tool (Qtdesigner),  easy to use; Beatiful GUI ...
I suggest that change C::B GUI to QT. Of course, I know this change is very very difficult.

BTW: I'm not a QT's employee. I wish C::B have a good future only.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: [Suggestion] Change C::B GUI to QT
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:40:53 pm »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:41:46 pm »
I think that the QT is better than wxWidgets. QT have business company supports, also have a OpenSource version; cross platform; and have a RAD tool (Qtdesigner),  easy to use; Beatiful GUI ...

LOL, you 're obviously kidding :lol:
QT better than WX? Funny, you made me laugh :lol:
Been there, done that. Thanks, but no thanks ;)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

ProutDeMammouth

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:42:23 pm »
It looks like rosted.

lfm

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:45:58 pm »
I suggest that change C::B GUI to QT. Of course, I know this change is very very difficult.

BTW: I'm not a QT's employee. I wish C::B have a good future only.

Just something: your post can originate a wx vs. qt flamewar, because here a lot of people think otherwise.
Anyways, you should ask instead why wx was choosen over qt, at the time the project started.

I'm sure the developers had evaluated all the toolkits before starting the project.

To know why these kind of posts should be avoided: :P
I think that the wxWidgets is better than QT. wx have business company supports (really), is completely OpenSource; cross platform (supports way more platforms than QT); and have various RAD tools (wxSmith, DialogBlocks), it's more easy to use; and the most important: it doesn't haves a Beatiful GUI, it haves a Native GUI (QT is not native in Windows, it tries to look simmilar but it's alienated)...
I suggest to keep using wxWidgets. Of course, I know this will be easy. :lol:

BTW: I'm not a wx employee because wxWidgets is a community driven development. I wish C::B have a good present and future.

@the gun: lol lol :lol:

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:01:47 pm »
It actually does not matter whether or not QT is better or worse, it does not even matter why wxWidgets was chosen in the first place. It does not matter whether you like it or not (as it happens, I really hate wxWidgets). All of this is completely irrelevant.

The one and only thing that matters is that the application is built on top on wxWidgets and the major part of code uses, depends on, or otherwise interacts with wxWidgets.
Using this particular toolkit is a decision that Yiannis took when starting the project, and it cannot be undone at this step of development (or at any later time).

Migrating to a different toolkit at the current stage (even if you could prove that it is 200 times better) would be outright crazy. It would not be very difficult, but it would mean to rewrite the whole application from scratch.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 05:26:31 pm »
[...](as it happens, I really hate wxWidgets)[...]

:o :shock:

Personally, I find both Qt and wxWidgets great :). Each of them has advantages and disadvantages.

May be you would like to have a look at here:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1255.0

Best wishes,
Michael

jarro_2783

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:15:42 pm »
As thomas said, it would be near impossible to convert the gui since the gui is so integrated into the program.