Author Topic: Question on Code::blocks design  (Read 22957 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Question on Code::blocks design
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 07:09:18 pm »
Define "many error", "something from the menu", "jams up" and "not close right".

Keep in mind that cbEditor is supposed to be a descendant of wxEvtHandler, maybe some events are mishandled?

IMO you're doing the heck of a lot trial and error in here. Not that you're doing bad, but... kinda spooky changing things without knowing how they work (um, what happens if i press this button on the alien spaceship? :P ).

Also, what happened to the "maximize", "restore" and "activate" functions of EditorBase (inherited from wxMDIChildFrame)? Did you emulate them too?

Offline frog-o

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 03:58:29 pm »
mandrav
you said

There's a reason for this: the main frame isn't something that I will decide how to structure. It is up to the user to configure it to his/her liking. I don't see what good it would do to use XRC for the main frame...

what better way to do this then xrc.    Xrc has many beniffit to it just read wxwidget xrc doc.    .I would like to do thing more visually then type every thing out in text.  It Takes me much long to do thing this way.  Most of the time becuse of trill and error with sizers in wxwidgets.  This would also alow use to edit it in codeblock when we get xrc editing up and running.

and you also said

Also consider the fact that, at some point, a docking windows library is going to be used (wxDockit/wxIFM).

Yes I consider this and every good libbary sould soport xrc.  I seen you on you toolbar add on createing you own xrchandlers why cant we create one.

My Main worry is such thing as pointer to wxtree controls and other controls but think this can be workaround buy getting everthing to use just plant wxControl.

Alot of xrc access if base on finding a window buy name and can be place anywere in the Mainframe or any of it decendents.

Offline frog-o

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 04:06:11 pm »
to RESPOND TO  commont  rickg22.
That was

Define "many error", "something from the menu", "jams up" and "not close right".  

I said alot of error cuase i don't know them all.  I still bug huntting.  This was just to say i'm not complete with what i'm working on.

I think to see all the bug you need to have the source that i working on.  It hard fo me  to track down and explain all the odd behave yours.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 06:45:41 pm »
Just a question that crossed my mind. Your changes make C::B behave as "tabbed editors", or you're trying to implement XRC with MDI?

Because trying to manage MDI with XRC is, IMHO, very inconvenient and filled-with-difficulties, if not impossible.

Offline frog-o

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:14:14 pm »

Your changes make C::B behave as "tabbed editors", or you're trying to implement XRC with MDI?

I been try to say for the longest time.   I have it C::B working with tab editors using my xrc way.  It was easer for me to do it with xrc.  It has some bug but I think it would works if i could get the other problems solved.  C:B crash on close menu problems etc.

I hope mandrav will see the xrc can be flexible and do want he want or explain to me why it is a big problem.

I think i see want he getting at.  Now I hope he can see want i getting at.

I think my idea enables for faster devlopment of c:b.
[/quote]

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 08:02:39 pm »
Sorry for my misunderstanding. What i meant to say was:

Did you try *first* to convert to tabbed editing, *BEFORE* converting to XRC?

From tabbed editing to XRC, it's a straightforward step. At least IMHO (just replace the wxsashlayout windows with normal panels using wxsplitterwindows).

And yes, I agree that XRC is the way to go. In fact I think it'd match perfectly with the personalities management Yiannis is working on.

Offline frog-o

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 01:39:52 pm »
I tryed to do that as much as possible when first started but had problems One was that i cange the name in wxglade of the class feild and cuase an error on xrc load took me a while to track down.  (Dumb me).  Another was an oll dll (dumb me)  and there many others.  I Probbly should try again.  

Here a thought that came to me, i want to try latter what happen when you add a wxframe control to a wxNotebook?  I use wxpannel before on notebooks.  I think it only requiers wxwindow decendent but not sure.      

Here a little more info on my idea inspire buy my brother and mostly his idea for another program i was working on.  

We could have codeblocks load and mange theme wicth are xrc with a possible plugin to mannage the non-stander controls events and other stuff.

I not sure if you can mannage events of mainframe controls outside the Mainfuction thou a dll thou but think you could.

we could have make thing like editormanager have a SetEdtorList(wxTreeCtrl *EditorListCtrl) and SetCustumListCtrl(wxControl *) Methods to do this if it did not work.

mandrav buy the way to answer you question a while back that was
Did I understand you or not?

Only partarly.  Yes I want mainframe TO BE XRC but you don't understand how i plan on implementing it.

mandrav If I get something work would you like it,  Now that I expplain it a little better or do you still think it will cuase problems?  I got to amit i never usesed (wxDockit/wxIFM) so i could be missing some facts

Offline frog-o

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 07:22:46 pm »
Hay mandrav  I got your note on that was

A note to frog-o:
I appreciate all the hard work you 're doing, but I think you 're trying to do too many things at once (notebook, xrc, etc). I believe it would be better to do one thing at a time. For example, work on converting MDI to notebook and when you 're done, send me a patch for it. Then continue with the next thing on your checklist (like xrc for main).
It's easier for you to debug your code this way and for me to review the patch...

Yiannis.

I must say I agree that i try to do to much at one time but i belive i do a good job at it.  In fact I almost have all my XRC code::blocks working now. I Think i only have few bugs and some minnor issue with your help i sure i can get them fix.  In reallty i not changing much code just makeing it easyer to use with xrc.   The Menu proble has been fix what done me in was the fact i had -1 in the event id custrutor of mainframe with cuase a bunch of errors.  I delete the section :wxframe(wxParent,-1) becuase it no longer needed.     My only problem now that i know of cunsit of what look to be  5 minnor thing

1 the tree contol right click in linux need to be taken care of
2.  todoplugin crash the ide when the EVT_PROJECT_CLOSE is called
3. the code:block hang on close but exit the onApplication close fuction
4.  a .rc can't be found error i think radomly appers on close (i going buy memorry of my errors)
5. i have not test on linux or with the 2.4 wxwidgets sdk i'm useing 2.6

i just replace were it sayes wxtoolbar * my control = new wxtoolbar() stuff with (wxToolBar *)MainFrame->Findwindow("Testtoobar");  I try several time to do it the way you sugeted but it is much easer this way.  
when you replace wxshashwindow you with wxspliter you realy have to redesing tho hole thing in text.  Add chace down a buch of error becuse of that that you don't get with the way i doing it.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 08:55:28 pm »
Alright. Enough talking. Send me a patch when you 're ready ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline frog-o

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 05:31:54 pm »
Not to be a pain mandrav,

But i realy think you sould create an unstable branch of codeblock for my work seperate for the code::block branch.   I don't know what you have agaist it.  Is it hard to create a different branch?

Please note also i starting form scatch today to try to implement it your way (that is Just try to add a notebook first).  I was think about this add i don't think that i need to conver the sash window over right away to splitterwindows wicth would cut down my bug hutting makeing it duable.