Author Topic: Multi Programming Language IDE  (Read 17672 times)

SartriX

Multi Programming Language IDE
« on: May 06, 2005, 01:13:07 pm »
I've been using C::B for a few weeks now and liking it a lot.

However, not all projects I run are in C/C++ and it would be a shame if I still have to keep other IDE's around for these other projects. In fact, I even have a project running at current that combines C/C++ subprojects with (in this case) tcl/tk. I also read this topic: http://www.codeblocks.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=224 and noticed I'm definitaly not the only one with a demand to use C::B beyond C/C++.

So, my suggestion would be to make C::B not just a good C/C++ IDE, but an universal IDE. You guys made C::B cross-platform with plugin-support. Why not take it just a little step further and make the very language it functions for as a plugin in a way that for each project (even distinct once inside the same workspace) you could select a different programming language?

Now, I'm not asking you to make these plugins for the other languages ofcourse. But it would be nice to atleast already take this idea into consideration and make the C/C++ language as a plugin and work towards an extended plugin interface for other developers to add other languages/project definitions to C::B. Haven't looked at C::B's source yet, so I don't know how much work it is to make this possible.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Perhaps for version 3.0? :)

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:04:23 pm »
If i under stand you right this is allready done.
if you look under plugin manage plugin in code::blocks menu alot of c++ langues feturse they have built in are  plugin even the cop[iler are plugin of sort. :D

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:20:52 pm »
Yes, the main problem right now would be the class browser, which is c++ only. I'm looking for someone who can implement it using CTAGS so it can effectively become multi-language. (I for one, would like to have a PHP class browser so i can ditch my current PHP editor).

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:47:23 pm »
Time to set some things straight regarding ctags...

Ctags is a great program but it's not well-suited to be used inside C::B and I 'll explain why:
  • Doesn't parse local (inside functions) variables. Translation: Forget local vars in code-completion
  • Doesn't support inheritance. Translation: No inheritance in code-completion, nor the class-browser
  • Creates huge text files (tags) for large projects, which are essentially slow to read[/list:u]

People talking about ctags in C::B seem to forget that the plugin is called "code-completion", not "class browser". Ctags is not good for code-completion, except for simple projects.
    On the other hand, ctags is good for programs like vi, that allows you to jump to a token's declaration.

I would gladly have used ctags if it was good for code-completion. It would have saved me a lot of work I 've already put in the existing plugin. But for me, it doesn't really cut it.

With all that said, let me close with this:
    Nobody 's stopping you from writing a ctags plugin and use that over the existing home-brew plugin. C::B is about freedom of choice.
    Well, go on coding it. I see that some people here would be interested in a ctags plugin ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 08:14:49 pm »
Oh... so we could use codecompletion for C++ projects, and CTAGS for other projects :)

Sounds reasonable.

Offline fiammy

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Nebulagame
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 09:50:49 pm »
Haven't I seen Lua support somewhere in Code::Blocks somewhere?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:16:31 pm »
Quote from: fiammy
Haven't I seen Lua support somewhere in Code::Blocks somewhere?

Yes, in syntax highlighting for the editor.

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...