Author Topic: Problems & bugs in wxSmith  (Read 6769 times)

Srinivasan

Problems & bugs in wxSmith
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:44:04 am »
Hi,
     I am using the latest nightly release (28th April 2006 - WxWidgets 2.6.3 unicode) along with wxwigets 2.6.3.   I created a new project with the following options

1)Configuration Mode : Global Variables
2) Library type : Static

I had the set for the correct values for global variables WX using settings->Global variables menu option.

But still I am unable to see the correct values set for the COMPILER and LINKER Directories.   The project properties show the following directories for the COMPILER

$(#WX.include)
$(#WX.lib)\gcc_dll\msw
$(#WX.lib)\gcc_dll$(WX_CFG)\msw
$(#WX)\contrib\include

Why is this directory set to gcc_dll when I have set the Library type to static (I think it should be set to gcc_lib$(WX_CFG)?

Where is the script for the wxSmith wizard available?  I have checked under the share\CodeBlocks\templates\wizard but I am unable to find any script related to wxSmith.

2)  In the wxSmith project wizard "START PAGE" I checked the option "Do not create any files".  But I still see some files getting created in the new project.

3)  The "CANCEL" button is shown on the left side and the "Create" button is shown in the right side. 

4)  I added a mainframe with a wxBoxSizer in it.  Then I selected the main frame once again and then tried to add a wxStdDialogButtonSizer into it.  C::B crashed.

I had some more crashes as well which I will send it later.

Further I have some suggestions regarding the project wizards.

1)  The project wizard for wxSmith could be made similar to that of wxwigets project wizard so that the scripts for setting the compiler and linker directory setting common.

2)  Is there any plan to include a document generating tool (like doxygen) plugin into C::B.   This would be very useful.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Problems & bugs in wxSmith
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:38:51 am »

2)  Is there any plan to include a document generating tool (like doxygen) plugin into C::B.   This would be very useful.
I already started work on that months ago, but then I focused on other things, planning on picking this up again some where in the (near?) future.

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:29:52 pm »
Why is this directory set to gcc_dll when I have set the Library type to static (I think it should be set to gcc_lib$(WX_CFG)?
For now, everything is set to gcc, shared library, monolithic builds of wxWidgets. Anything else and you'll have to change it by hand.
I've fixed all of that but I'm waiting for when the devs have some time to test it.

Where is the script for the wxSmith wizard available?  I have checked under the share\CodeBlocks\templates\wizard but I am unable to find any script related to wxSmith.
The wxSmith wizard is the only hardcoded wizard. If you want to change something you'll have to recompile. Or create an alternative C::B wizard.

2)  In the wxSmith project wizard "START PAGE" I checked the option "Do not create any files".  But I still see some files getting created in the new project.
Same as above.

3)  The "CANCEL" button is shown on the left side and the "Create" button is shown in the right side. 
Same as above.

4)  I added a mainframe with a wxBoxSizer in it.  Then I selected the main frame once again and then tried to add a wxStdDialogButtonSizer into it.  C::B crashed.
wxStdDialogButtonSizer crashes in wxSmith in XRC mode. Please submit a patch if you can, I don't know how XRC code is (was) handled in wxSmith.

1)  The project wizard for wxSmith could be made similar to that of wxwigets project wizard so that the scripts for setting the compiler and linker directory setting common.
If you can, create & submit a wxSmith wizard by using the C::B wizard. Don't break your head about wx configurations, paths, linker settings, etc, I've already solved that.

2)  Is there any plan to include a document generating tool (like doxygen) plugin into C::B.
As Lieven answered. :)
I can add that a Doxygen spin-off called DoxyS, produces much more readable output and is easy to use.

Offline srini2174

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:52:01 pm »
Hi,

I would like to contribute for writing a script similar to the one developed for wxWidgets.  Where can I get the documentation to write the scripts.   Further I  would like to get the source code for wxSmith.  How can I get it.  I tried to browse the SVN repository.  But I am unable to download it.  Can someone help me to get the souce code downloaded from SVN.

Regards,
Srinivasan.B

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 05:53:34 pm »
See here

http://www.codeblocks.org/source_code.shtml

You will need SVN to be installed on your system. A good SVN client for Windows is TortoiseSVN.

http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/

Checkout the SVN sources with it.

Then the wxSmith sources are in src/plugins/contrib/wxSmith
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:56:22 pm by sethjackson »

Offline srini2174

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:30:49 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the info.  I have downloaded it the sources from SVN.  Is there any documentation available for the scripting & creating a new project wizard? 

Regards,
Srinivasan.B

sethjackson

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:33 pm »
Hi,

This functionality doesn't actually require writing separate plugin. You can integrate your documentation generating tool via Tools menu.
Just click Tools->Configure tools... , and add an entry like this: screenshot.
This simple method works like a charm with DoxyS, and presumably with Doxygen too. :)
this space is for rent

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:02:52 pm »
For all wxSmith users and testers:

First - Thx you're here - work makes no sense without you :)

Second - wxSmith is being redesigned / recoded etc. and version currently included in nightly builds is little bit outdated. But new version is not yet good enough to replace the old one.
I don't have enough time to work on both  :( and I hope you forgive me the if I update old wxSmith only in case of really critical bugs (or really stable patches ;) ).

And if anyone is interested in wxSmith code - new version is in src/plugins/contrib/wxSmith/new. Using sources from src/plugins/contrib/wxSmith may be a bad idea.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:33:49 pm »
I don't have enough time to work on both  :( and I hope you forgive me the if I update old wxSmith only in case of really critical bugs (or really stable patches ;) ).

Hello,

No problems :). I think it is preferably that you invest your time in the new wxSmith, especially if you have little time.

Best wishes,
Michael