Author Topic: Settings->Environment.... crash! the latest nightly !!!!!!!!!!  (Read 28469 times)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Settings->Environment.... crash! the latest nightly !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 07:02:44 pm »
So what can I do to help you find the difference between my deb and the deb you offer ?

You should compare the resources of your build and those of the .deb package (possible with the same revision number). Look at .zip files. The cause of the crash could be due to outdated resources.

Best wishes,
Michael

Dee

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 07:25:58 pm »
Yes, but what exactly? Should I compare every folder and file in the deb-files? Should I check the size or the content? (And how?) And of course they differ... I installed my c::b to /usr/local and the precompiled binary uses just /usr as I think. So they couldn't be the same.

Greetings, Dee

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 07:31:22 pm »
Yes, but what exactly? Should I compare every folder and file in the deb-files? Should I check the size or the content? (And how?) And of course they differ... I installed my c::b to /usr/local and the precompiled binary uses just /usr as I think. So they couldn't be the same.

The zip files should be under share/devel.

Difficult to tell you exactly what to search. It also depends on time you have. I would say, check the size and date of the zip and check the files in the zip too.

May be Pecan or a dev could suggest something more specific.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 09:29:32 pm »

Greetings, Dee

Dee, thanks for all that work..
Give me a little time to walk with my pup and think of a
good easy way to do this...

thanks
pecan
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 09:31:19 pm by Pecan »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 01:11:28 am »

Dee, thanks for all that work..
Give me a little time to walk with my pup and think of a
good easy way to do this...

Ok.. My dog told me (and she's smarter them I am) that the best approach is to ask you to tell me *exactly* how you installed that .deb package and for me to follow those steps to the letter.

Then I can use some of my local tools to compare the resources.
It'd be way too complicated to do the comparisons via the forum.

so.. Dee.. Tell me how and where you installed the .deb

thanks
pecan

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:14:54 am by Pecan »

Dee

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 07:34:07 am »
Ok, if your dog say so I won't disagree...

1. using Ubuntu 5.10
2. get the latest version (2380 I think) via svn
3. "mv trunk codeblocks-2380" (I know this isn't important for you, but it is for checkinstall later.)
4. "cd codeblocks-2380"
5. "./backports" (I got the warnings above...)
6. "./configure --prefix=/usr/local"
7. "make"
8. "sudo checkinstall" (just type enter everywhere but create a Debian package)
In my case there were several errors now because of files that could not be found. As I understand it right the program tries to set some rights to files that will be installed to /usr/local later.
9. "sudo dpkg -i codeblocks*.deb"

Then just start codeblocks via menu.

Unfortunately I could not get this version as nightly build so I couldn't check if the error is still in "your" precompiled debian package. But I think so....

Greetings, Dee

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 01:13:05 pm »

2. get the latest version (2380 I think) via svn

What do you mean by "svn"? I thought the .deb package
was simply downloaded from the nightly builds?

Did you get it in some other way?

http://download.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060425_rev2380_ubuntu.deb

Dee

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
I thought the .deb package was simply downloaded from the nightly builds?
Yes, but I think we want to compare your debian build and my build from the sources?

What do you mean by "svn"?
So i get the sources via svn (see posting by thomas above) and compile it...

Now I have two debian packages: The one I compile on my machine that don't crash and the one from your servers, that crashes. (Or better I would have two debian packages if the link you posted would not say "file does not exists".)

Greetings, Dee

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 01:31:27 pm »
Yes, but I think we want to compare your debian build and my build from the sources?

Now I have two debian packages: The one I compile on my machine that don't crash and the one from your servers, that crashes. (Or better I would have two debian packages if the link you posted would not say "file does not exists".)

Hmmm,

I must admit that your way to build a .deb package is rather unusual AFAIK :?.

Did you use the debian repository for building your package?

Anyway, what I asked you to compare was not 2 deb packages :wink:, but your build from the svn sources and the .deb package I provide in order to know if there are diffrences (especially in the zip files).

Thanks for your work and time.

Best wishes,
Michael

Dee

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 01:40:47 pm »
Hm, I thought this is the standard way in Ubuntu... You also could use dh_make and fakeroot, but that doesn't work with codeblocks in my case. But anyway...

So I should install both debian packages (your deb will be in /usr and my deb in /usr/local so this should be no problem) and compare which zip file? I have never seen some zip-file in one of the install directorys... but haven't look closely enough maybe.

But please provide the version 2380 as debian package so I can install it this evening... Or post a link to some old sources (as archive), maybe 2377. (BTW: Am I the only one who thinks the way getting C::B sources is a little bit complicated? ;))

Greetings, Dee
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:46:12 pm by Dee »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 01:51:51 pm »

Greetings, Dee

Oh.. ok.. I get it.
I already have the svn source built. Your instructions on installing the .deb is what I was after. So I'll continue...

thanks,
pecan

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 01:52:14 pm »
Hm, I thought this is the standard way in Ubuntu... You also could use dh_make and fakeroot, but that doesn't work with codeblocks in my case. But anyway...

To be honest, I have found several way to build a .deb package (I am trying another just now :)).

Waht I use is this sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

So I should install both debian packages (your deb will be in /usr and my deb in /usr/local so this should be no problem) and compare which zip file? I have never seen some zip-file in one of the install directorys...

First you can try with this command so that you can see what a .deb package contains (may be it could be enough to compare you .deb and mine):

dpkg --contents file.deb

If not for the resources and zip files, look under share/devel.

Best wishes,
Michael

Dee

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 05:40:15 pm »
So, rev2380 is online, I installed it (it removes my debian-built) but still crashes.... (Only to be sure we're on the right way.)

So, I found the error... If I replace the resources.zip from your debian package in /usr/share/codeblocks with my resources.zip there is no crash.

The differences are...

app_compiler_settings.xrc: two more options in my built
env_settings.xrc: one other name, two more objects
print_dialog.xrc: one more object and utf8-encoding

In the next step I just replace the env_settings.xrc in the zip file and it works well. So I attach my env_settings.xrc so that you can compare it. (I must rename it to attach it...)

I hope that you can fix the error now so that everyone has fun in programming with C::B... :)

Greetings, Dee

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 06:05:41 pm »
So, rev2380 is online, I installed it (it removes my debian-built) but still crashes.... (Only to be sure we're on the right way.)

So, I found the error... If I replace the resources.zip from your debian package in /usr/share/codeblocks with my resources.zip there is no crash.

The differences are...

app_compiler_settings.xrc: two more options in my built
env_settings.xrc: one other name, two more objects
print_dialog.xrc: one more object and utf8-encoding

In the next step I just replace the env_settings.xrc in the zip file and it works well. So I attach my env_settings.xrc so that you can compare it. (I must rename it to attach it...)

I hope that you can fix the error now so that everyone has fun in programming with C::B... :)

Hello,

Thank you very much for your work :).

So, it is a resources problem. I just wonder why the dpkg-buildpackage cannot upload correctly the resources :?.

I am also trying alternative build methods, e.g., pbuild, but does not work because of the missing zip file. Now I am trying without the -b parameter and see if it will work.

Yannis could you please have a look at the debian directory and check if it is not there the cause of the problem (I would do it by myself, but I am not an expert :()? Thank you :).
If the debian directory is ok then the cause is related on how I build the .deb package.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 07:38:58 pm »
Hello,

I have changed some parameters and built a .deb package for rev2385. If someone would be so kind to install it and check if the Settings-->Environment crash is disappeared, I would really appreciate :). If you have installed a previous package, please uninstall it before.

The package (rev2385) is available here:

http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=547711

Thank you very much :).

Best wishes,
Michael