User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

Latest msys2/mingw64's gdb failed to start under Windows 7 and its solution

(1/4) > >>

ollydbg:
I just update my msys2 packages, and I soon found gdb.exe can't start by missing a dll named: api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll

I have found a solution, and it works fine, see:

msys2: msys2/mingw's gdb.exe failed to start under Windows 7 for missing api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll and the solution Issue #4119 msys2/MSYS2-packages

and

api-ms-win-core-path-HACK: Thanks for supplying this dll, which make msys2/mingw64 gdb works under Windows 7 64bit

I hope this can help you.

omlk:
Hello, how can you compile gdb without python? And why does gdb need a python? It was because of the python version that support for Windows 7 was thrown out.

* python 3.9 and higher do not support Windows 7
* python 3.8 and lower support Windows 7Why didn't the maintainers of msys2 make it possible to choose a gdb with python and without python?

stahta01:

--- Quote from: omlk on October 26, 2023, 02:38:30 pm ---Why didn't the maintainers of msys2 make it possible to choose a gdb with python and without python?

--- End quote ---

Likely because the added complexity was not worth the effort. It was easier to drop support of Windows 7.

Tim S.

omlk:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on October 26, 2023, 03:55:41 pm ---
--- Quote from: omlk on October 26, 2023, 02:38:30 pm ---Why didn't the maintainers of msys2 make it possible to choose a gdb with python and without python?

--- End quote ---

Likely because the added complexity was not worth the effort. It was easier to drop support of Windows 7.

Tim S.

--- End quote ---
That is, msys2 maintainers are not able to compile gdb without python? And they could also offer gdb with python <=3.8 for Windows 7, gdb with python >=3.9 for Windows 10,11 and higher, gdb with python <=3.4 for Windows XP
https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

stahta01:

--- Quote from: omlk on October 26, 2023, 04:04:11 pm ---
--- Quote from: stahta01 on October 26, 2023, 03:55:41 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Tim S.

--- End quote ---
That is, msys2 maintainers are not able to compile gdb without python? And they could also offer gdb with python <=3.8 for Windows 7, gdb with python >=3.9 for Windows 10,11 and higher, gdb with python <=3.4 for Windows XP

--- End quote ---

Are you incapable of compiling the packages? Are you offering to pay money to the MSys2 team?

Tim S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version